PDA

View Full Version : PLO8 Play for critique

Jon Matthews
06-01-2004, 06:47 AM
0.25/0.50 blinds on VC - Extremely loose morning game with regular family pots - mainly HE players testing the water since this is new on VC, me included.

I'm in MP with Ah Kh 3c 9h and about $40. All players involved after the flop have me covered by at least $30. The max buyin is $100.

UTG calls, UTG+1 raises the pot to 2.25, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, I call, CO calls, button folds, Both blinds call.

I know my hand isn't great but I'm hoping for a multi way low with my A3 and to see how the flush draw goes, and you can see how loose the game is. Comments?

8 to the flop

Th 2d 8s - (pot $18)

It's checked to me and I bet $6, everyone folds except the blinds. My logic here is I'm drawing to the nut low and only playing for half the pot. I'm guessing it's unlikely that I'll be quartered so I'm building the pot while trying to keep as many in as possible. Comments?

3 to the turn

[Th 2d 8s] 4h - (pot $36)

So now I have the nut low and I've only invested 8.25 in a $36 pot. It's checked to me, I bet $10, both players call.

3 to the river

[Th 2d 8s 4h] Tc - (pot $66)

I bet $22.92 all in. Now I want the other players to fold if they are playing for high. Is that reasonable? I thought that this board only became dangerous on the river when it paired.

SB called, BB folded.

Main pot : $110.34
Hero ....... Ah Kh 3c 9h
SB ....... 5h As Js 8h

Hero wins $55.17 with low hand : 8432A
SB wins $55.17 with high hand : Two Pair: 10s and 8s

How was my play? And importantly, how was the SB's? He called on the turn and river with not much at all except a small flush draw and a small amount of low protection. Is this reasonable? Are there any questions here that are obvious to the experienced player that I've missed out?

Thanks,

Jon.

crockpot
06-01-2004, 09:48 AM
preflop - i'm not sure how much i like this call, mainly because that 9h does so utterly little for your hand; in fact, the heart outs it takes away from you probably negate any value from even holding the 9. if you had more money in front of you or that 9 was a useful card, i would like the call more.

on the flop, your hand really isn't very good, so i wouldn't be so inclined to make a milking bet with it. on the turn, i would certainly at least consider making a full pot bet to try and win it right there. as for the river, you're on your own. milking the opponents to try to increase your half is a decent play, as is betting big to try to win the lot. it all depends on the opponents.

SB played the hand terribly, but don't worry about him.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-01-2004, 11:48 AM
If you're new to O/8, there's one little rule that will save you money.

Never play any hand that has a 9 in it. Sure there are exceptions (like A239 where the 9 is suited to the A), but mucking at the first sight of a 9 will not cost you much EV in the long run.

Also remember that the value of your flush draw goes down if you hold a 3rd card of that suit.

To me, this hand is an easy fold pre-flop. On the flop I'd just check. No reason to put money in the pot when 1) there's no low yet, 2) you have no protection for your draw, and 3) you're playing for half the pot.

Why risk being raised 5x what you just bet when you're playing for half the pot less than 100% of the time?

tiltboy
06-01-2004, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing it's unlikely that I'll be quartered

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you consider unlikely but in a 10-handed ring game I think you are only about a 2:1 favorite to be the only A3 dealt. So one out of every three times, barring your TTAK8 holding up on the the river for high, you are likely getting quartered and the other two times you are likely splitting. Personally I save my money for a better hand.

twistedbeats
06-01-2004, 04:44 PM
- i don't mind limping with your hand preflop but i'm a maniac and even i won't call a raise with it.

- the flop bet you can justify by saying you're buying the button, and if you catch perfect on the turn you can pot it, or just check along for a free look at the river.

- the turn bet was weak. you caught perfect. pot it. you're happy to take it right there

- the river bet is pointless. check along

37offsuit
06-03-2004, 02:57 PM
The rake thanks you. That's all I have to say that hasn't been said already.

dogsballs
06-05-2004, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
- the river bet is pointless. check along

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know how you can say this.

I really like the river bet when the board pairs, although he only had about quarter of the pot to bet or whatever. When you can get a crummy high or busted draw that would still win hi to muck, then it's gravy. Doens't have to happen too often to be very worthwhile.