PDA

View Full Version : A8s in 5/10 game...comments on my play

08-29-2002, 07:48 PM
Game is a pretty loose 5/10 home game with mostly weak/loose players. I have the As8s in middle position. Most of the players will play any ace in this game. Two limpers in early position, I limp, 2 limp after me (cutoff and button), sb calls, bb raps the table. 7 see the flop of Ac,10d,3s. First EP checks, 2nd bets, I'm next and raise in hopes of shutting out 5 other players (small chance in this game). The cutoff cold calls the raise, rest fold, EP calls. Cutoff is one of the better players for this game but that still isn't saying much...I put him on an ace...possibly bigger than mine. Aces up by anyone is out of the question or two pair for that matter because it would have got 3 bet. I'm still confused about the EP's hand...I know his game and he would have raised with aj-ak. Turn is the 5 of spades...I have top pair, weak kicker, and a 4 flush. Checked to me, I bet, cutoff calls as quickly as I bet...I am worried about his hand now and am sure I need to improve, EP calls. River is the 6 of diamonds. EP checks, I check, cutoff checks it down. EP turns up aq off, I muck, cutoff shows me aj off and asks what the hell was I betting on. Did I play this hand right??? I think I did but I just feel like I seriously misplayed this hand. I was also shocked out of my mind that the ep had aq off and just limped preflop...the aj by the cutoff wasn't so suprising though, after 3 limpers to him i don't think he would raise preflop with less than aq suited.

08-29-2002, 09:06 PM

08-29-2002, 11:35 PM

08-30-2002, 10:33 AM
Why are you surprised that EP limped in with A,Qo? This is not a raising hand in EP at a loose table, from my understanding anyway. If someone disagrees with me, please do so. /images/smile.gif

Your bet on the turn is a must bet.

In my experience(s), A,Xo is more often a loser than a winner. I have lost many a pot going to the river with a pair of Aces, only to be out kicked. I only play A,Xs when I can expect 5+ in the pot. I most of the time need a flush draw or two pair to feel comfortable.

08-30-2002, 10:35 AM
>>I just feel like I seriously misplayed this hand

Seems to me you analyzed the situation perfectly. The other players played too passively. You knew you were likely beat by a better kicker and when you didn't get the draw it didn't cost you anymore on the river.

e

08-30-2002, 09:16 PM
The reason I was surpised to see this hand is I know the players in this game well...it is usually just about the same group every week and you get to know playing tendencies. This is a player that will 3 bet an early raiser with aq off and raise with a10 off at times from early position.