PDA

View Full Version : Pushing 1 pair in a large stack situation

Acesover8s
05-31-2004, 11:16 PM
Not sure, what I think of this hand. . .

$1-$2 live PL holdem. New game at a small room, I've never played here before, its just after a tournament ended. No real reads.

3rd hand of the game.

UTG ($250) opens for a raise to $7. There is a caller, and MP ($400) makes it $35 to go. I ($1000) find black queens on the button and smoothcall the raise. The initial raiser smoothcalls as well.

3 to the flop of J84r. UTG checks. MP bets $30, I make it $150 straight. UTG folds. MP just calls.

Turn is a honest to god brick, although I don't remember what it is. He checks, I ask him to count down. He has considerably more than I expected, and I put him all in.

I don't think the preflop play is debatable, maybe I'm wrong. What do you think of the flop and turn? How much would you sell your hand for if called on the turn?

Nero
06-01-2004, 12:47 AM
id be done with the hand after being called on the flop. check behind on the turn, call/fold the river depending on the action.

id like to hear your thoughts on the turn bet?
- no free cards to AK,910?
- value out Jx,TT,99?

Acesover8s
06-01-2004, 09:22 AM
There was no solid thought to the turn bet, save for this. Rarely do I play live big bet smaller than 5-5 or 5-10, the 2$ chips in play confused me, when I asked him to count down I expected him to say $50 or $60, moronic I know. I still felt committed, which was a mistake and bet him all in anyway.

Obviously, its unlikely he has 9T. AK, AJ, and TT are very remote possibilites (IMO), and KK, AA, JJ, are very likely. I would assume you put this situation about the same?

Acesover8s
06-01-2004, 06:42 PM
I think I played the hand just terribly. I was paying no attention to what my flop bet might mean in relation to the later streets.

When he called my turn bet, I told him "I like your hand".

Obviously KK, AA, and JJ were the most likely candidates for his hand. But he could possibly hold something I could beat and he sort of did.

He turned over the red queens and we split the pot. Foolish.

cornell2005
06-01-2004, 07:28 PM
well, i like the flop raise or a flop fold. clearly (to me anyway) calling woulda been the worst.

on the turn, if you raised and he called, i think the push is the worst of the 3 options. id probably rank them as check, bet, then push. i dont think your folding an AA or KK out by representing a hand bigger than the one you have.
anyways, i agree with your assessment of the hand