PDA

View Full Version : misplayed QQ?

obex
05-31-2004, 08:26 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t915)
UTG (t680)
UTG+1 (t630)
Hero (t875)
MP2 (t735)
CO (t2535)
Button (t890)
SB (t740)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t95.

Flop: (t295) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t30</font>, Hero calls t30.

Turn: (t355) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t30</font>, Hero calls t30.

River: (t415) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t75</font>, Hero calls t75.

Final Pot: t565
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t565 (t565), between UTG and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (t565).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Js Ks (one pair, kings).
Hero shows Qc Qh (one pair, queens).
Outcome: UTG wins t565. </font>

Joboo
06-01-2004, 04:56 AM
If you think he has the K, your odds are 23.5:1 to catch your third Q (If my math is correct), and you're getting less than half the pot odds necessary to call. Of course, whether or not you think he has the Q is entirely dependent on your read of your opponent. If your previous assesment of him indicated to you that he would bet with less than Kings on that board, then I'd just feel happy that he didn't take you for more, and perhaps alter your perception of him for a future confrontation. If your read on him was that of a more solid player, then perhaps in the future you should lay that hand down in a similar situation.

obex
06-01-2004, 07:42 AM
No read whatsoever. Early round, $30 game. I don't play enough of these to see the same folks. I certainly wasn't calling hoping to hit a Q. With the small bets UTG was making I was thinking he might have been on a draw and then trying to steal at the end. I hate just calling someone down from the flop, it feels so weak. That's why I'm posting this.
I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would have been better to raise on the flop?

Tsushima
06-01-2004, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No read whatsoever. Early round, $30 game. I don't play enough of these to see the same folks. I certainly wasn't calling hoping to hit a Q. With the small bets UTG was making I was thinking he might have been on a draw and then trying to steal at the end. I hate just calling someone down from the flop, it feels so weak. That's why I'm posting this.
I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would have been better to raise on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either fold or raise on the flop. You are very unlikely to catch a queen so calling is not much use. If you think he has a K, fold. If you are in danger of going out of the tournament if you guess wrong, fold. If you have some reason to believe a small bet from that player indicates weakness, raise. If you have plenty of chips, raise and find out where you are.

I had a similar situation the other day in a SB vs BB situation. I made a 4xBB raise in the SB with QQ to try and get him into a pot. He called and the flop was K high. He made a pot-sized bet. I guessed it was likely he wouldn't bluff into a K high flop against a pre-flop raiser so I laid down the QQ. He showed K5. Don't ask me why he called with that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tsushima

bosoxfan
06-01-2004, 11:03 AM
I had this same situation come up. low limit party still early blinds 10/15 everyone still around T800. I got 1 caller after raising QQ to 75. On a king high flop he bet 40 and I raised to 100. He folded I don't know if he had the king and put me on aces or AK but I tried to show the king didn't scare me if he called I would have gone check fold if I didn't improve. Hope this helps.

37offsuit
06-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Raise on the flop. If he reraises, fold. If he calls, shut down but you may see him check it out to you. At the very least he's going to check it to you on the turn giving you 2 chances to hit your Q.

BradleyT
06-01-2004, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your odds are 23.5:1 to catch your third Q

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you like to play in my SnG's please?

Jason Strasser
06-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Wow I hate dumb bets like that. Out of pure anger, I'd raise the 30 to see where your are. Before I read the results, I thought top pair, shitty kicker, so maybe you should fold on the flop. However, I'd never fold for 30 in a pot like that.

This post sucks, ignore it. This is one of those hands that I'd just end up calling a dumb bet of 75 into a pot of 400 on the river and saying NH.

This post sucks.

wayabvpar
06-01-2004, 05:16 PM
That weak little bet on the flop is either someone begging to be pushed off their hand, or someone setting a trap for a big reraise (or call an ill-timed all in). I would fire a raise at this guy unless I had a very good read on him and thought him capable of setting said trap. Pot is just about t300...I think I would raise to about 200 and see how well he likes his hand.