PDA

View Full Version : Re-raised PF holding AK as big stack

Gomez22
05-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($24.80)
Gomez22 ($72.45)
MP1 ($23.15)
MP2 ($57.40)
MP3 ($28.20)
CO ($92.25)
Button ($14.75)
SB ($47.30)
BB ($15.05)

Preflop: Gomez22 is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 raises to $8</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $24.75</font>, Gomez22 calls $16.75.

Flop: ($50.25) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets $0.05 (All-In)</font>, Gomez22 calls $0.05.

Turn: ($50.35) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: ($50.35) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: $50.35
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $50.35, between UTG and Gomez22.</font>

Is it one thing to call an all-in by a smaller stack holding AK? Or does this fall into the same area as if you WOULD be stacked if you lost?

This guy was a real fish, but I still thought about this one before I called.... my thoughts were: I've built a stack here, and even if I lose this hand, I'm still back to level for the session, and I know I won't face any more decisions here.

Right thought process or wrong??

cornell2005
05-31-2004, 03:15 PM
i think thats a wrong way to look at it. in general, i think your thought process should be concerned with what a small stack like this would push with. can he push with AQ or AJ? did he just lose a hand that might make him raise then push with his small stack?

i would have been alot more comfortable with my call if he hadnt raised just 3 dollars first. if he was getting sloppy with his small stack, usually you would see a larger initial raise or a push right away.

that being said, its still an easy call for me because of the dead money in the pot

Gomez22
05-31-2004, 03:22 PM
He was LAG-ish, and a short-buyer to boot(I always have perhaps a negative outlook on the short-buyers at the table... make me think they wanna make a quick score and exit, and aren't quite as confidant in their abilities. I know it's a generalization, but so far, it's seemed to hold true).

The type of player he was influenced me to call more than anything, but I was wondering about the thought process if and when the situation caomes up again. I've had my share of run-ins with AK and getting re-raised PF lately... some have been god, some have been pretty bad.... When facing a re-raise, it's usually a tough decision for me(If I don;t have the player in question well covered, or it's a small amount).

cornell2005
05-31-2004, 03:28 PM
when facing a reraise vs a regular player with a slightly deeper stack its a tougher decision. it all depends on the player, his stack, and exactly what dead money is in the pot.

in this situation, all 3 lead you to a call. hes a lag/bad player, his stack is tiny, and your getting wonderful odds. the fact that hes a lag player AND his stack is tiny compounds that effect also.

bunky9590
05-31-2004, 03:49 PM
I dont like the reraise ther of an UTG open raise. i smooth call and then pop him on the flop when I flop top two.

cornell2005
05-31-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont like the reraise ther of an UTG open raise. i smooth call and then pop him on the flop when I flop top two.

[/ QUOTE ]

same. if i reraised id rather be first to act on the flop so i can auto bet it. id rather call and give weaker aces and kings the chance to call behind me. probably would be getting better EV that way than isolating the small stack