PDA

View Full Version : Heads up, what would you do?

Phil Van Sexton
05-31-2004, 12:09 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (2 handed)

Hero (t4149)
Button (t3851)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Button calls t150, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>

This player was pretty aggressive pre-flop, but then would check/call a lot post flop. I thought his call pre-flop was rather odd since he had been raising/folding. This always scares me since many players will just call with KK or AA and then bet the flop.

Anyway, I'm first to act on this flop, what is your move and why? Also, what would you have done pre-flop?

cartoonsoldier
05-31-2004, 12:20 PM
I would say you are in a pretty good position here, and might even want to raise him. I mainly tend to push in heads up tourny with A8 suited and above.

Rooster71
05-31-2004, 03:43 PM
In this situation, I would make a sizable bet (not all-in) and see if he raises or just calls. If the turn was an 8 or A, I would make a slightly larger bet and again see what happens. From what you described, I would fold if he raised because I would be worried he is holding KK. This is a tough desision, if he is holding KK he would want you to get as deep into the pot as possible. But on the other hand I would be willing to take a risk and find out. But I wouldn't risk my whole stack considering that he wasn't real aggressive pre-flop like he usually is. I may have made a small raise pre-flop just to build the pot. Just my thoughts....Sometimes I play really well heads-up, sometimes I suck.

heyrocker
05-31-2004, 04:24 PM
I absolutely would have raised this preflop. Say to about 2K (although with your stack size I can see pushing too.) Given a check, I definitely would bet this hard and possibly even push postflop. He might have a king, but you have 12 outs and if he doesn't have a king you're golden. This is one of those cases where i think agression will win this pot way more times than not, but granted the times it doesn't you're screwed.

HajiShirazu
06-01-2004, 02:05 AM
This is a monster flop for you heads up, I would look to get as much money in as possible, I would probably checkraise.

Phil Van Sexton
06-01-2004, 10:00 AM
I also liked the idea of the checkraise, but he seemed to check down a lot of hands. I decided to bet $1500 instead in the hopes that he would either call or try to move all-in and steal it. In retrospect, 1500 was probably too much for a $600 pot since it was unlikely he would ever just call 1500.

Even if he had a K, I was still a slight favorite to win the hand, so I called quickly when he re-raised all-in.

If fact, he had K6 (2 pair) and I was a very slight dog (48%). I called, hit the 3h on the turn and won the tourny.

Even though I won, I felt like I played this hand wrong. Usually, I would have avoided all this thinking and just pushed allin after the flop. Since I was neither a big stack or short stack, I felt like I had to think and that is always trouble.

Anyone else play this differently?