PDA

View Full Version : Have i got this overcalling thing ok? should i have just called on riv

Noodles
05-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)
This table was fairly loose and passive

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.
Came in with 22 here as i expected enough pot odds by time it got around,didnt work though

Flop: (4 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.
I though it ok to call here as board wasnt that dangerous looking

River: (8 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG calls.
Ok this is where i mess up the overcalling thing,I was afraid that if i just called then the SB might fold anyway,if i raised that maybe the 2 of them would call.
But isnt overcalling like this. You call the raise as if you raise yourself you are afraid of a 3bet.
I didnt think i faered a 3bet from the bettor so i raised,is that ok?

Final Pot: 12 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12 BB, between UTG and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (12 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Ah Qh (one pair, aces).
Hero shows 2d 2s (three of a kind, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins 12 BB. </font>

twolf
05-31-2004, 11:27 AM
Overcall is usually when there are more than 2 opponents in a hand that you expect to call a river bet. In this example you get the same amount if UTG+1 calls your raise and if you call and the sb calls, you win the same amount of bets.

Noodles
05-31-2004, 11:38 AM
yes but i was hoping The 2 would call my raise

Piiop
05-31-2004, 11:41 AM
I think raising the river is good. It's very, very unlikely you will lose this hand. If you call, you can only win 2 BBs. If you raise, the SB might fold, but UTG will definitely call so right there you're winning the same. However, SB might call and UTG might 3-bet if he has something A9 or AK. You can only gain by raising the river.

Overcalling is calling a bet on the river with what might be the best hand when there are players left to act behind you. You call because you think they will call with worse hands, but only call a raise or 3-bet with a better hand.

twolf
05-31-2004, 12:10 PM
After SB called a raise on the flop I don't think he will fold to your raise on the turn if you raise, conversly he will fold on the river if he was betting out a draw on the flop or being smart enough to realize a pair isn't winning.

MaxPower
05-31-2004, 12:14 PM
I don't think you should go for an overcall. UTG is almost certain to call your raise and he may even reraise. You don't know what SB is going to do. So you are better off raising it.

If the game is loose I usually don't worry about getting overcalls. I usually raise and hope that everyone calls two bets. I think that is more profitable in most cases.

The time to go for the overcalls is when you think you have the best hand when you call, but will probably not have the best hand if you are re-raised by the bettor

I would probably raise on either the flop or turn as well.

Noodles
05-31-2004, 01:26 PM
"The time to go for the overcalls is when you think you have the best hand when you call, but will probably not have the best hand if you are re-raised by the bettor"
Ok so my overcall on the turn was wrong as i feel i really would have beat him if he reraised and maybe SB would've called anyway.
So overcalling is mainly a river play?
I'll work this out someday! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif