PDA

View Full Version : Standard JJ

The Setup
05-31-2004, 10:13 AM
My opponent in this hand seemed fairly straight forward haven't seen any moves from him. Is it standard to call down the turn and river here? All comments welcome.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO raises, Button folds, Hero 3-bets, BB folds, CO caps, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero calls.

I bet out to see where I was and figured I was against a higher pair after he raised here.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jh Js (two pair, jacks and sixes).
CO shows Kc Kd (two pair, kings and sixes).
Outcome: CO wins 10.50 BB. </font>

Apocalypse
05-31-2004, 11:07 AM
sorry but...WEAK!

after a cap preflop and a raise on the flop you put him on a higher pair and you call down from there? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

havent read results yet, but he could have a ton of hands that you raise there... (not to mention an obvious draw you want to punish like hell)

If the flop got capped, and your turn bet would be raised i'd start to seriously consider a higher overpair here, but until that point I AM the aggressor since i got an overpair thats is great now but could get some serious damage if some overcards would fall. Until that happens or counteraction like described above im firing away. period.

Now let me take a look at those results /images/graemlins/smirk.gif ...

Apocalypse
05-31-2004, 11:13 AM
well as usual im wrong /images/graemlins/grin.gif but as usual i stick to my story nonetheless until proven utterly senile /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ps. didn't read your profile on this guy in my first glance but i'd have to be pretty pinpoint specific on a dude to follow this line of play

ctv1116
05-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Yea, I think you call down. I'd say with 90% probability that they have a higher pocket pair. I'd just call down.

bugstud
05-31-2004, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry but...WEAK!

after a cap preflop and a raise on the flop you put him on a higher pair and you call down from there? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

havent read results yet, but he could have a ton of hands that you raise there... (not to mention an obvious draw you want to punish like hell)

If the flop got capped, and your turn bet would be raised i'd start to seriously consider a higher overpair here, but until that point I AM the aggressor since i got an overpair thats is great now but could get some serious damage if some overcards would fall. Until that happens or counteraction like described above im firing away. period.

Now let me take a look at those results /images/graemlins/smirk.gif ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Your line will likely just make all the worse hands fold and make you pay out the arse to QQ-AA and a set. I think his line is one of the better ones.

skunkworks
05-31-2004, 09:56 PM
I like your play.

With an unknown I'd probably 3-bet the flop, and once its capped I'd call down. Given your read that he hasn't really been out of line, I would probably play it the same way you did.

Usually when I see a straightforward player cap preflop, I think of AA-TT, and AKs-AJs. On that flop, you're behind to all of those high pockets (minus JJ), and if he's agg enough to bluff with overcards on the turn, then let him. If he has the four-flush, then it's a little tougher to charge him because you're out of position. I think your play is straight out of HEPFAP.

Apocalypse
06-01-2004, 08:58 AM
I would say there are a lot of worse hands i would like to see be folded right there, since im carrying quite a vulnerable hand here(getting it to showdown isn't my dreamchoice). IMO the flopplay remains the best and cheapest tool during a hand to collect info, and i cannot see where a raised flop can be concluded as being THUS an overpair where it can easily be raised by a hand like AK, trying to force a free glance at fourth and fifth street hoping to catch. so i three-bet, and often be able to get a lot more specific at that point. However if your reads are strong enough to provide all the info you need at that point of the flop raise, theres no reason for 3-betting. with about 12SB in the pot drawing to a 2-outer a case could be made for folding.

perhaps leading out the turn after a capped flop is however a little bit hasty so i can see that for good dicussion.

naphand
06-01-2004, 01:28 PM
I have to say I agree with Apocalypse, a flop raise could mean a lot of things here. Party $1/$2 it may be, but there are more aggressive players today than even 2-3 months ago. I pretty much 3-bet every time.

With your hand you will see a lot of raising with hands like Axs and KTo, not just QQ/KK/AA.

I think the flop, being 2-suited and you holding an overpair, begs a 3-bet from you.

I have promised myself not to get too aggro with Party $1/$2 players, as a 3-bet usually means at least 2-pair and I had been spewing too many chips with just an overpair or TP recently. However, a 3-bet/cap needs you to be raising at some point. If you only ever 3-bet with 2-pair or better, then you will be as readable as the rest of the Party players.