PDA

View Full Version : Suckout??

08-27-2002, 04:07 PM
Loose passive 6-12 table...pretty straightforward players.

I'm in MP with Ah3h. one limper, I call (I figure many will call behind), next player raises, 2 cold callers, blind calls, limper calls, I call to close the betting. Flop comes:

9-7-3, two spades. checked to pre flop raiser, who bets...everyone calls!!! and now it's to me. I call (?)

Turn comes A of diamonds, no there's two diamonds and two spades on the board. Limper to the right of me now bets??? I raise with my two pair, everyone folds to limper, who calls.

River is a blank, he checks, I check, he shows the A8 of spades. I take it down.

Had he bet his four-flush on the flop (as I think he should have, I would have dumped my hand without a wink)

Please flame away.

08-27-2002, 04:14 PM
Why in the world would you check the river?

08-27-2002, 04:23 PM
I don't know what to think of your pre-flop limp here. I will view other's opinions and state my own.

You can't call this flop. With this many players and a flush draw and two higher cards to your pair, you are basically praying.

You must fold this pot unless you have a flush draw or flopped two pair or a set.

08-27-2002, 04:27 PM
You MUST bet this river. If you come raising on the turn and he simply calls you, you have to bet this river.

If you were afraid to bet the river, then why raise the turn? I'm not saying you were afraid, just simply stating my thoughts.

Bill

08-27-2002, 04:32 PM
Hey Aquarius...

I muck after the flop, after all you only have 2 clean outs to top/bottom two pair which could very easily be a 2nd best hand if you make it, especially if another spade hits.

But, since the turn and river came as if the dealer asked you what card you would like to see on each betting round, you have to bet the river here. There are many inferior hands that will pay off a bet here, especially since the pot is so large.

-JAA

08-27-2002, 07:30 PM
A call on the flop seems justified to me. He has five outs and is closing the betting, getting 17:1 on his 8:1 shot. A call seems reasonbale to me.

SS

08-27-2002, 07:44 PM
Seems to me you played it fine except you have to bet the river. I think the flop call is fine since you close the betting and you have good odds.

08-27-2002, 11:44 PM
I have the worst aces up here. The river was a J of clubs. I wasn't quite sure how strong of a value bet it is. I didn't think I would get a better hand to fold/worse hand to call.

Alan

08-28-2002, 02:18 AM
You must bet in these spots. There are a TON of worse hands that can call with that board. He didn't 3-bet you on the turn. A better two pair would have likely either 3-bet you, or led into you on the river. He did neither, so bet.

08-28-2002, 03:51 AM
You have to call the flop. You are getting huge odds on your draw... if you fold the flop in these situations, you are giving away your money.

I think the pre-flop play is fine as long as you could reasonably expect that you would get several more limpers and not too much raising.

The river check is where the mistake was in this hand.