PDA

View Full Version : How many mistakes did I make in this hand?

luv_the_game
05-31-2004, 02:39 AM
Stars 5+.5 1 table SNG.
My stack about T3000. Two others are about the same. Three other at t1200 or less.
Blinds at 50 and 100.

I'm dealt 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG and raise to t400. Called by UTG+1(3000+ stack) and the button (other 3000+ stack).
Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif:
I think for a minute and decide that I am probobly ahead at this point and I don't want to give a cheap draw so I bet out T1000 into the t1700 pot called by UTG+1, button folds.
Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
My read from observation of my opponent up to this point is that he has a flush or a straight draw. Anything that had me beat I was sure he would have raised me on the flop. So I decide to go on my read and bet all in. I realize that if my read is right I cant deny him the proper odds on his draw, but it's better than giving infinite odds. I also think he might be capable of laying his draw in order to maintain his good chance of cashing.
He think for a long time and calls. Turns over Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Obviously, he hit his /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the river, or else I wouldn't be writing this. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
My mistake that I can see is getting involved with one of the only stacks that could bust me when my chances at cashing were pretty good. My read was good, but in retrospect I'm not so sure about my play. What do you all think?

byronkincaid
05-31-2004, 03:19 AM
I would have bet more after the flop. At least a pot sized bet if not more. It was probably correct for him to call your 1000 bet with his flush and inside straight draws.

skunkworks
05-31-2004, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have bet more after the flop. At least a pot sized bet if not more. It was probably correct for him to call your 1000 bet with his flush and inside straight draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't have an inside straight draw.

I'm torn in this hand. On one hand, it's a good flop for 88, but it's also good for many other hands. With those big stacks cold-calling behind me, I might check to see what kind of action develops and pitch it if there are any large bets/raises. If someone bets it small, I'd call the flop to see if any scary cards hit on the turn and proceed from there. This seems like a pretty weak way to play it, but having both big stacks cold-calling a 4x BB raise should set off alarms. For all you know, UTG+1 could have an overpair.

Since you did read him for the flush, there's not much else you can do but push on him. By depleting your stack with the flop bet, however, you've given him better odds to call. One advantage of waiting until the turn to show aggression is that you're dramatically reducing his pot odds.

Anyone have a different opinion?

luv_the_game
05-31-2004, 05:10 AM
I tend to agree with your thinking Skunkworks. My bet on the flop was big enough I thought to make calling on a flush draw a mistake, and I was concerned about the overpair, but like I said, I really believed he would raise my flop bet me with an overpair. Easy fold for me if he does raise, I would still have enough chips to still have a decent chance. I didn't want to check on the flop because then I either allow a free card or face a bet that I can't feel good about calling (I did believe an overpair was not out of the question given the preflop action), but because of the bet I couldn't kill his odds on the turn.