PDA

View Full Version : Please help

joker122
05-31-2004, 02:12 AM
I find myself folding overpairs when the top card on board pairs and I've met resistence on the flop. Twice this week it has been with AA, and both times I folded the best hand. When I do make the fold it seems like the only logical play, but then I see the showdown and want to puke. Help me out.

No reads.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (7.33 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero folds.

River: (10.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP2 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP2 shows Jd 9h (two pair, queens and jacks).
Button shows Ah Th (one pair, queens).
Outcome: MP2 wins 10.16 BB. </font>

I was thinking, "How could MP2 call 2 cold on the flop without a queen?" Does anyone else fold here?

adanthar
05-31-2004, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking, "How could MP2 call 2 cold on the flop without a queen?"

[/ QUOTE ] There's a hand I posted 2 days ago at 5/10 when a guy called 2 preflop, 2 on the all-spade flop, and 1 more on the 4 spade turn with 42o. No, he didn't have a spade (or a pair, for that matter)- but he did call one more on the 5 spade river, after a bet and a call in front.

I might play a bit more carefully, but until he raises me I'm not assuming he has anything.

James Boston
05-31-2004, 03:27 AM
People often bet when a scare card falls. If you fold to this play everytime, you're going to lose alot of money. Raise in these situations and see what happens.

anatta
05-31-2004, 04:44 AM
Your logic is good, you would think against two opponents, they both can't be on a draw. But in the online poker world, two opponents and top card pairing isn't a check-fold on the turn.

You should really bet the turn against just two, probably three. If someone raises you, then consider folding. At least if you are bluff-raised, they earned it. You showed strength and they pushed back. Check-folding AA? vs 2? Online 3-6??? No.

Kluddeludde
05-31-2004, 09:51 AM
The mistake made in this hand is not betting the turn, the hand is played out much easier then. If you are raised, you can safely fold. If they only call, bet again on the river for value.

Kludde

jt1
05-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Bet the turn and fold to a raise from a normal player. You can re-raise or check raise a habitual bluffer. Interesting to note, if you are later position and someone bets into on that board you can raise. This is especially true when an undercard pairs, but I don't see why it doesn't hold water when the top card pairs. After all players are just as likely to call with an underpair as thay are with the top pair. As for reading other players cold calls, you really can't. I think most players or at least a third of them will cold call with any suited connector or AXs or KXs. Almost every player will call the flop with an underpair. (and those who don't are easily indentifiable) And many players will call hoping to catch a draw. In other words you can't read hands. Keep betting until you are raised, and when bet into - raise. I've foolishly folded the best hand 3 times in the last 2 months (almost certainly more than that, but it's not foolish if some normally non-maniac insist on representing a great hand)and lost a total of maybe 50 BB. I don't want to do it ever again.

StellarWind
05-31-2004, 01:31 PM
I think the opponents' hands explain themselves better than I could. You expect MP2 to fold a possible best hand with nine outs to beat AA? You're shocked that Button would raise with a double gutshot + overcard?

When I turn trips I bet my hand and so should you. And as far as I'm concerned I have trips until someone proves otherwise. That second queen is a powerful bluffing weapon so it behooves you to use it before someone else does.

PS: Do you think it's good poker for MP2 to *call* bets with a queen? Why are you surprised that he's drawing?