PDA

View Full Version : Gettin frisky with QJo

jrobb83
05-31-2004, 12:06 AM
I'm in the middle of a 115 BB slide, just making sure I'm just having bad luck and not bleeding chips.

Opponent was kinda loose but not out of line. This was the first hand I played at this table in about 30 minutes of playing at this table.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (8 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>

thirddan
05-31-2004, 12:14 AM
i don't think you should call the bet on the river, unless he has a missed draw you aren't ahead here...if he is a decent opponent he might realize you may check behind on this river and he doesn't want that to happen...Also, a decent player probably wouldn't lead at this flop with only a draw since there is a good chance that you, the preflop raiser, will raise him...

maxpowers21
05-31-2004, 12:49 AM
Looks pretty standard. Just curse the poker gods he hit a ten on the river. I would also consider just calling the flop rather then a raise, but im just weak tight like that, maybe. Your gonna got odds/implied odds to play for the gutshot.

lil'
05-31-2004, 08:45 AM
You're bleeding chips.

Pre-flop - FIne

Flop - What do you put SB on when he bets into a pre-flop raiser and 2 other players in this spot? I would say he could have an ace (or something more). Betting something less in this spot would not be a great bet. Of course, he may be a bad player who makes bad bets, but an ace is one of the first things I think about here when I put the player on a range of hands.

Turn - Having raised the flop, I really think you can check here. You may have picked up some additional outs with the Q coming. Even if SB was betting some gutshot or draw on the flop like K-Q or J-9, he just got there with this card.

River - Aside from a total bluff, there aren't many hands you can beat here. Fold. Again, are you puttiing your opponent on any type of hand here?

StellarWind
05-31-2004, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your gonna got odds/implied odds to play for the gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a double gutshot.

StellarWind
05-31-2004, 09:20 AM
Preflop seems very loose/aggressive. What sort of player is MP1?

Flop raise is routine with a strong draw and the turn bet seems justified because you improved and need a showdown.

His river bet is a shock. The stop-n-go represents a ten with an unpaired kicker: KT, JT, T9. He could also be betting a weak ace or KQ in lieu of ckeckcalling.

Your hopes are that he has 97 or Q9.

That's a pretty thin dream. At 9-1 I reluctantly fold.

lil'
05-31-2004, 09:34 AM
turn bet seems justified because you improved and need a showdown
Eh...I still think he should take the free card he paid for. What do you put the SB on? There's a very good chance our hero was never ahead at any point in this hand.

The bet on the end looks like a ten, but only an idiot would bet a bare ten into the field on the flop. Granted, we're talking about an online, low limit player, but I think SB was ahead the entire way.

I think Hero could have saved two BB here.

StellarWind
05-31-2004, 01:05 PM
You can call SB names if you want, but the fact is that people bet this flop without an ace all the time. LAGs bet a piece of the flop to see where they stand. There is also a real chance that he is semibluffing an OESD or even a gutshot. Meanwhile weak aces often checkraise or checkcall in this situation.

Since we do not know much about this player, it is a mistake to make too many assumptions about the flop bet. There are no hands that auto-bet this flop but there are many, many hands that someone will bet.

On the turn you must either bet and take a free showdown or check and call the river. You can't walk away from this pot with a pair of queens.

The turn call tells me SB can't beat TPTK. Then the river comes and he suddenly changes his mind. Why?

1. He has a ten with an unpaired kicker. Note he might have checkraised.

2. He's bluffing a busted straight draw. Only 97 seems to qualify.

3. He's betting one pair for value because it's cheaper than checkcalling. He figures he can fold to a raise because he's representing trips.

I agree that #1 sounds doubtful based on preflop and flop. #2 is certainly possible but not very likely. There are many, many hands that fall under #3. Even if they only bet a fraction of the time this could still be the most likely possibility given that the alternatives are also unlikely. The problem is most of these hands can beat us.

Based on this analysis it seems like you should raise the river. You represent a hand that beats trips. If he's betting one pair he'll likely fold. Certainly this is a raise-or-fold situation. If you're going to invest one bet anyway then the bluff is too good to pass up.

bernie
05-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Based on this hand, small sample size, you're bleeding chips.

Preflop? On a bad run? im not raising this in LMP. Im tightening up a bit. Im guessing the texture/your image isnt right for this play at this moment. But who knows. It's only one hand. Not sure why some are saying this is a standard raise here. Suited i could buy in.

Flop...fine

Turn. The sb just coldcalled preflop, called the flop raise. Id check behind here. What do you think he has that he would lay down here?

River... Sb withstands all the power, then bets into you again. id be suprised if you dragged this one.

b

b

lil'
05-31-2004, 02:19 PM
Based on this analysis it seems like you should raise the river. You represent a hand that beats trips. If he's betting one pair he'll likely fold. Certainly this is a raise-or-fold situation. If you're going to invest one bet anyway then the bluff is too good to pass up.

Getting a player at this level to fold a pair here is a risky proposition after he has invested this much in the pot already, especially if that pair is an ace.

Regardless of what the SB holds, he should be done with the hand when he is bet into on the river.

BertZee
05-31-2004, 02:44 PM
&gt;&gt;"and not bleeding chips ,...."&lt;&lt;

Maybe I am over-simplifying this BUT:

you raise with QJo
you raise with it again after an ACE hits the board
and since you DIDN't get check-raised, you feel you are ahead in the hand?

I've seen many a player slow play/bad play 88 in this spot.
Or call with A2 here.
Its very possible when the river pairs the board [and thats when he was going to raise you] he became afraid you would check so he bets out.

WLLHE tells you to look for reasons to fold ,..... you had a bunch here. I know its hard to set out so many hands in a row - BUT I think you can find a better use for your chips than try a weak semi-bluff with QJo.

BERT

**And no, I don't know Ray!**