PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Talk: A new Mr. Automatic - A new MLB Record

Zeno
05-30-2004, 11:33 PM
The Dogers shutout the Diamondbacks, not a difficult feat really. But Eric Gagne got his 75th save in a row. A new MLB record. He can make those Major League Hitters look like High school kids at the plate. He embarrasses them. He's got that sinking 98 mph fastball and an 86 mph sinking change up that hits the same spot. The Hitters are lost, befuddled, and swing at air most of the time. Was Rivera ever that good?

What's with the space age specs? The hairy chin is cool!

With both the Diamondbacks and the Mariners in the cellar (both lost again today) it has been a disappointing season so far. Still early but I doubt if these two teams can make any noise this year. I did get to see Randy's Perfect Game aganist Atlanta and that was sweet and amazing to watch.

-Zeno

Dynasty
05-31-2004, 01:39 AM
It's a very impressive streak. The oddest thing about it is that right in the middle he did blow a save in the biggest game he's played- the 2003 All Star Game.

Nepa
05-31-2004, 02:49 AM
How long until he becomes a Yankee?

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-31-2004, 01:28 PM
The oddest thing about it is that right in the middle he did blow a save in the biggest game he's played- the 2003 All Star Game.

The all-star game is only marginally meaningful, as home field advantage is less relevant in Baseball than in other sports. Thus this blown save didn't occur in anything remotely close to being a big game.

nolanfan34
05-31-2004, 01:34 PM
Still makes for an interesting footnote I think. That is an unreal streak, I don't think it's getting the attention that it should.

Please stay in the NL Eric...don't go to the dark side...

Dynasty
05-31-2004, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The all-star game is only marginally meaningful, as home field advantage is less relevant in Baseball than in other sports. Thus this blown save didn't occur in anything remotely close to being a big game.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, it's still more important than any Dodger game for quite a while.

bugstud
05-31-2004, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But, it's still more important than any Dodger game for quite a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't hate the Canadian. It's not his fault he doesn't take an All-Star game too seriously.

andyfox
06-01-2004, 01:59 AM
Rivera's signed through the end of 2005.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-01-2004, 10:55 AM
I've been called a lot of things in my life, but this is the first time I've ever been called a Canadian. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last I checked, Rhode Island (where I live) and New Jersey (where I was born) were still part of the US.

J.R.
06-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Eric Gagne was born in Montreal. I'll give props to Gagne's nasty deuce-piece, which in addition to the lively and explosive fastball and slippery change can be thrown for strikes with any count and has buckled many knees. Too good!

ArchAngel71857
06-01-2004, 11:42 AM
USA Today Article (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/dodgers/2004-05-31-gagne-vs-history_x.htm)

Here is the article on Gagne in USA Today.

-AA