PDA

View Full Version : General question about inducing bluffs

skunkworks
05-30-2004, 10:22 PM
In theory, what conditions make it correct to check the turn in late position to induce a bet on the river? If I had to answer this, I'd say it would be HU against an aggressive bluffer when holding a good but not great hand, the type of hand that does not welcome a check-raise.

I play in the loose-passive 1-2 6max games on Party, so is inducing bluffs too fancy for these games? Is it something more appropriate for 5-10?

I ask this because this forum has taught me to be more aggressive in marginal turn situations. I definitely lean more toward betting the turn and checking the river through whenever I have something like middle pair. I like to give opponents a chance to fold and not hand them any free cards.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

ctv1116
05-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Yes. Just bet on the turn and river, and they will call two instead of trying to induce a bluff and only getting one.

And about Party 1/2 being loose-passive--I have been in some surpisingly aggressive games recently, lots of raising preflop.

skunkworks
05-31-2004, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And about Party 1/2 being loose-passive--I have been in some surpisingly aggressive games recently, lots of raising preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed this too. It doesn't happen very frequently, but I've seen it enough to realize I need to make adjustments and upgrades to my game. I've seen some semi-bluffing on the turn, a good amount of open-raising PF, and aggression on all streets. That's actually the reason why I asked this question: to learn how to win in these aggro games.

SlickRick
05-31-2004, 01:26 AM
A good rule of thumb is bet if you feel they are more likely to call on end, check and induce a bluff if they are aggressive and you feel they were on a draw. Also be on the lookout for players that will raise on the end as a bluff. I usually spend my time at the 5-10 6max games and a good chunk of change is made by "inducing bluffs".

Happy Bluff Catching,

Rick

naphand
05-31-2004, 05:14 AM
Quite a few players will bluff the River with missed draws, or mid-pair with overcards and 2-suits on the board.

I think this kind of Turn check is best used in HU situations, where you have top or 2nd-pair, and the flop was 2-suited (but no 3rd appears). Many players will read your flop bet/raise as a flush draw and bet into you on the River if you check (even if you did bet the Turn) with A high or nothing at all. Some players are very predictable this way and there are a few who always bet if checked to on the River.

Generally, I would say you need the 2-suited flop for them to either be on a draw or to put you on a draw. Obviously they must have shown some aggression in these spots previously. At Party $1/$2 you are usually just better betting for value, as players will call you down with any part of the flop.

King Yao
05-31-2004, 07:47 AM
Two situations.

A. On the Turn
Critera:
1. You are last to act on the Turn.
2. Your opponent has checked.
3. He is aggressive, so you can count on him to sense weakness and bet on the River if you check on the Turn
4. You are not sure if you are ahead or behind.
5. Only a better hand will call a bet, but a worse hand will not.
6. There are very few free cards possible.
7. You are headsup
8. You have the ability to stomache a bad beat

Example: You have K9 headsup and on the Button. You had raised pre-Flop and your opponent in the big blind had called. The Flop was A-K-8. He checked and you bet, and he called. The Turn is a 5. You think he is good enough that he won't call you on the Turn with a QJ, QT, JT (because he does not have pot odds), and he would have check-raised on the Flop with an Ace, or is planning to do so on the Turn. Thus you will not get called unless he has a better hand. There are very few free cards no matter what he has (assuming you are ahead). Now, if he has a hand like 87, K3, QJ, he will usually bet on the River whether or not he catches. If he is on a straight draw with QJ, QT, JT, you will have to call when a Q, J or a T shows up, because he may have picked up his straight, but he may also have bet on the River (since you showed such weakness) if he had just picked up a pair. When he does hit a straight (thus you gave him a free card because he would've folded on the Turn), then you will feel like throwing up, so you have to have the stomache to handle this type of thing in order to try this play.

B. On the River
1. You are first to act on the River.
2. You believe your opponent was on a draw of some sort and he has missed.
3. You know he won't call with a busted hand, but may bet on a bluff if you check.

Example: You are in the big blind and get raised by an aggressive player in late position. You have K/images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. The Flop is K/images/graemlins/heart.gifQ/images/graemlins/heart.gif5/images/graemlins/club.gif. You check-raise, he threebets...you call. The Turn is a 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. You check and he checks. Now it looks like he is on a draw, or maybe he just has a Q. On the River, if you bet, he will call with a Q, but not with a busted draw. However, if you check, he will bet a Q (so you do not lose anything by checking, as he will bet your hand for you), and he may bet a busted draw as well, since you have shown weakness by checking on the River (little does he know that you only showed weakness because he showed weakness on the Turn). If your opponnent is a calling station or is passive, do not check.

obex
05-31-2004, 11:14 AM
That may be the most clear and concise explanation on inducing bluffs from the turn that I have ever read. Thanks.

King Yao
05-31-2004, 11:47 AM
You're welcome!