PDA

View Full Version : What to do with QQ and JJ preflop when raised?

DangerGoodson
05-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I am realtively new to this site so forgive me for posting on something already said or restating the obvious. My question to you all is what to do with QQ and JJ preflop in SNG tournies, especially in the $33 and $55 entries. I have played countless 10+1's and have had great sucess going all in preflop with these hands (when raised, if not I make a standard 3xBB raise), but as I have moved up I haven't had the same sucess, as I seem to get busted frequently with these hands re-raising all in. I know it comes down a lot to player reads, but usually this situation happens to me early in the tourney where I really don't have a feel for the player. Also, I know Jacks are far less powerful than Queens and should be treated differently, so your suggestions on standard play for both hands would be great.
Thanks,
Danger

t_perkin
05-31-2004, 11:28 AM
Early in a $33 tournament I would probably push in to a reraise with QQ (although not always).
Otherwise just reraise (probably double his raise).

With JJ I would flat call if it was not to a huge raise. But there are a lot of situations where I might fold this or raise with it.

JJ is a hard hand to play. If you are losing a lot with it then just play it more like 77-TT than like QQ.

QQ is a strong hand, you should be winning a lot of small pots with this. But don't be reticent in throwing it away on the flop when an A or K comes, especially an A.

Generally speaking with QQ you are looking to be HU on the flop. With JJ, some people like to play it HU on the flop and play it for pair value. Some people playing it like a lower PP looking for the set on the flop against more opponents. You should master playing it both ways and understand where each is applicable.

Search the archives - there is a lot of discussion on these hands PF.

just some (very badly arranged) thoughts

Tim

RiverMel
08-23-2004, 07:43 PM

patrick dicaprio
08-23-2004, 09:52 PM
as you have found out good players are not going to raise with weak hands and certainly wont call with weak hands when you raise. i wouldnt go all in with either and would rarely reraise with either. your best play is to just call and see what happens as if they are playing overcards you can take the pot.

Pat