PDA

View Full Version : Flopped the nut straight with flush on board

AtlBrvs4Life
05-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Here's a hand I played recently and was unsure of what to do on. Comments?

I have Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in late position. Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. First guy bets, second guy raises, I'm next. What do I do with one person left to act?

Keats13
05-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Was there a pre-flop raise? Since you didn't say so, I'll assume no. That means there were 4 to the flop for about 4 SB. It's now 2 SB to you on a 7 SB pot.

You're either drawing dead or precariously ahead. A lone /images/graemlins/spade.gif has about a 1/3 chance to catch you by the river, a set has slightly more. There are 19 cards you don't want to see on the turn (10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif's, anything that pairs the board). Assuming none of them hit, there will be 22 by the river. Not to mention that the other 2 J's and Q's may get you chopped.

Maybe I'm being weak/tight here, but I don't think this pot is worth the trouble at this point.

adanthar
05-30-2004, 10:06 PM
This isn't PLO8; I'm not folding the nut straight for 2 bets with no further reads. Yeah, lots of cards can beat you, but this is an implied odds situation; if they have, say, a set and an A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, you can immediately fold if a bad card hits but at least one of them will be paying you off the whole way if it doesn't. (Also, given that action alone, it's pretty unlikely there are 10 spades left in the deck. Nine, maybe.)

My choice would be between calling and 3 betting. What I really want to know is if one of them has the flush or not, so I *might* cold call and see if the first guy 3 bets. Unless he has a made flush, he will not, since he'll be terrified of my coldcall. Option #2, to 3 bet, is an instant 'I have a made hand' signal; you won't be capped except by a small flush, which can't slowplay, but you also won't be called by anyone without at least the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif or a set. On the plus side, if the guy behind you has the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, *3* bets doesn't give him the odds to call and you can try to fold him right here.

I guess I'd 3 bet, but it's close between that and calling. I'm not folding unless the turn pairs the board or fourth spades it, in which case I'm instantly done with the hand.