PDA

View Full Version : Justified raise on flop?

08-26-2002, 04:40 PM
Recently started my holdem career on Paradise Poker, since I couldn't find any good times to make it out to a B&M.. so I'll be posting hands from time to time that come up like everyone else.

Paradise 1/2... just sat down so I didn't know much about anyone at the table. I was on the button with AhKs. UTG+1 limps, as does EMP, as does LP, I raise, blinds fold, the other 3 call... 4 to see the flop.

Flop: Qh2h4h. UTG+1 checks, EMP bets, LP folds, I raise, UTG+1 folds, EMP calls.

Turn: [8h]Qh2h4h. EMP checks, I bet, he calls. River comes another heart, he checks and calls.

Was my raise on the flop justified? I figured he'd either put me on Axh and fold right there, or at least give me a free card on the turn to try to catch that 4th heart. Furthermore, what should I have done if he reraised me on the flop?

Thanks in advance,

Joey

08-26-2002, 04:50 PM
Flop raise is fine.

If he 3 bets, go ahead and cap it on the flop since u need to put in only 1 more bet. But if he 3 bets, it would probably wise for u to check the turn if he checks, because he's probably going to the river anyways.

08-26-2002, 05:00 PM
Hey Joey...

Your raise on the flop is good. If reraised, just calling the 3-bet is your best option heads-up IMO. If there were more callers in, capping wouldn't be a bad option because if another heart hits, the pot will be so large that people with mediocre hearts may go into call and pray mode for the remaining betting round. But heads up, go ahead and let your opponent think he has control of the hand, and maybe if a 4th heart hits on the turn he'll bet into you with the K or J of hearts.

Turn play is fine.

River play is fine.

-JAA

08-26-2002, 06:33 PM
Flop play is fine.

Against average players who reraised me I would cap the flop because I think it is justified by the fact that you might buy a free card coupled with the fact that you have a nut flush draw combined with 6 top pair outs. Average players with top pair, two pair, or trips get too scared with three flushes on the flop (esp. when you cap it). They also tend to get too tricky if they have a made flush and might check to you in order to check-raise.

Against a strong player I would probably just call since he will not be afraid to bet a strong non-flush hand on the turn if a blank hits and he will be far less likely to give me a free draw if he has a made flush.

my two cents