PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when...

08-26-2002, 03:48 PM
...you are in a loose passive game against a few opponents, there was no pre-flop raise and you have medium suited connectors like 98s. The flop comes something like 632 one of your suit and:

1) You are first to act.

2) There is a bet in front of you and players to act behind you.

3) You are last to act and there was a bet in front of you plus a caller or two.

4) You are last to act and it is checked to you.

I have frequently found myself in these situations and really don't have a clue so I usually wimp-out and:

1) check-fold

2) fold fearing a raise

3) fold but sometimes call for no particular reason other than I don't know which is correct.

4) check

Are these "overcards" plus maybe a backdoor straight and/or flush worth anything?

Flame away!,

Lost Wages

08-26-2002, 03:58 PM
1. check-fold

2. fold

3. fold

4. bet if there are only 4 players or less in the hand and try to win it right there, but beware the gutshot chasers. check if there are more opponents in the pot.

08-26-2002, 04:13 PM
not saying it is right, but i don't do anything different from you--sometimes you just miss the flop

08-26-2002, 04:21 PM
1. Fold-if the game is LP like you describe, you will probably not be able to steal the pot with a bet.

2.Fold-you basically have nothing, and you could get raised.

3. Fold

4. Bet if you think everyone will fold.

08-26-2002, 05:44 PM
You should be more apt to call in pots with lots of people in them when there has been a raise after you limped. Everyone may be counterfeiting high cards, and you can possibly win the pot if a 9 or 8 slides off on the turn. But your hand is easily counterfeited itself, so unless you have a very profitable situation, muck.

If you are last to act, take a flier, but you are going to have to bet this one all the way through, even when a high card hits on the turn, because people simply don't drop their high cards on a flop like this.

You won't be losing much if you just fold every possible time here.

Mike

08-26-2002, 06:04 PM
I almost always play them like you do. You have a nothing hand in a small pot - why get involved?

However, I might bet on the end if I think I can steal.

08-26-2002, 06:13 PM
Note that 632 is a very poor stealing flop in many games as people will hang around with overcards.

The play of your hand would be completely different if the flop was something like K,3,2 and you had 9,8s. Although you hand is worse, you like this flop much better as this is a great stealing flop against few opponents. Here you might lead bet early or even raise (always bet here if you are last to act and no one has bet).