PDA

View Full Version : Yawn.

08-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Getting tired. Should have left an hour ago, but the table is too easy. Playing on auto-pilot, so no real thinking behind any of my moves here. Loose passive 6-12.

QJh in SB.

5 limp in. I complete. BB checks. 7 see the flop.

Flop 2h,3h,8h. Checked to button, who will bet anything here. He bets, as expected. I, along with everyone else, call.

Turn Kc,2h,3h,8h. I bet. 3 callers.

River 4s,Kc,2h,3h,8h. I bet. MP calls. CO raises. What's your move? How would you have played previous streets?

08-25-2002, 08:27 PM
I 3-bet. MP folds. LP 4-bets. I call. LP shows Ah7h.

Didn't know what to think, so I went home.

08-25-2002, 09:10 PM
I think you should just call. By calling you will probably get MP to tag along, however if you raise you will more than likely lose MP and possibly get re-raised bye the CO. So by calling you will win the same when you win, but lose less. Calling seems like the play to me.

SS

08-25-2002, 10:10 PM
I might have either bet or check raised the flop. The goal being to make it expensive for any single ace or king of heart to draw. I suspect you are good on the river (not having looked at the results) but there is a possibility the nut or second nut flush waited until here to raise.

08-25-2002, 11:46 PM
Regardless of the outcome of the hand, you absolutely have to bet/check raise the flop. In early position in a passive game (which you described this one as) I would bet out because too often a scare flop such as this one will get checked around. However, since you knew that more often than not the button will bet, ideally you should've went for a check raise. At all costs, you should never let a lone Ace or King of hearts draw for free here.

Betting out on the turn is good.

As for the raise on the river, your in a call-and-pray situation. Considering the way the hand played out, in my experience it's almost as likely that the player holds some silly straight or two pair as he does the nut or 2nd nut flush. Once again, if you had played more aggressively earlier, you could respect this raise much more and possibly lay down the hand without paying it off. But, since the player could have convinced himself that there's no flush out there, you absolutely have to call. Reraising is also an option, but I would definitely need to know more about the raiser and the MP caller.

-JAA

08-26-2002, 03:49 AM
I don't like the flop slowplay here. The pot is not big enough to wait for the turn. Especially since the button will bet anything here, I would go for the check-raise.

That having been said, I think you should call the river. If you have the best hand, you win one more bet after the raise. You very well might win one more on the overcall without raising. But raising you risk more, and risk a reraise from the nuts (though I think these are unlikely... you very likely have the best hand here).

08-26-2002, 04:37 AM
I agree. More aggressive play earlier would have saved me a couple of bets at the end. I know this player would have raised any flush or straight at the end, so I think it was not a terrible re-raise, just a bad one. What I felt was terrible at the time (and you all seem to agree!) was putting myself in that situation. My best move was going home after this hand. A better move would have been going home 30 minutes earlier.

On a side note, up 80BB in 5 hrs of 6-12 tonight. Flopped quads once (1010) and rivered quads twice (QQ and K4o BB). Flopped full houses from the button twice (A6s and A4s) against big aces. Flopped open ended and turned nut straight against flopped sets twice. Boy, this game is easy when the cards come like that.