PDA

View Full Version : 2nds Better then 1st and 3rd?

Small Stakes
05-30-2004, 12:13 PM
The general concensus seems to be shoot for 1st or 3rd once you get in the money b/c it's more profitable then all 2nds. However, if its 3 way and all stacks are equal, attempting to double up leaves you a 50% chance of 3rd, 33% 2nd and 16% 3rd for an EV of $20.67 at at $10 table. If you let the others battle it out you have 67% chance of 2nd and 33% 1st for an EV of $25.67.

After 100 sngs I have many more 2nds then firsts. (13% vs 21%). One major factor is there is usually one giant stack in the final 3. Also, I don't consider myself a great heads up player.

- Am I taking the wrong approach? Thanks for any input.

tolbiny
05-30-2004, 12:40 PM
i see three problems with your post.

1. However, if its 3 way and all stacks are equal, attempting to double up

Yo;ur main goal isnt simply to "double up" in this situation. You should be stealing blinds and picking up small pots when players limp to you in the BB, ect. I dont think anyone here advises simply throwing you money in on a coinflip when ist down to three and you are equal stacks. What is more often stated is that if you are a small stack you should be happy go get your money in on a coinflip because you are pushing for first ratehre than hoping ot just limp into second. If you are the big stack you have no problem putting your money in on a coinflip because you will eliminate your opponent half the time and be a big favorite for first, or lose a chunk of your stack but still be in position to win. This is not the same as when the table has three approx equall stacks.

2. If you let the others battle it out you have 67% chance of 2nd and 33% 1st for an EV of $25.67.

the speed at which the blinds go up it is very likely that if you are just waiting for one of the others to be elminated the blinds will put a serious dent in your stack and you will have less than 33% of the chips when it is heads up. Also you are not garunteed that one will knock the other out before the blinds force you all in.

3. One major factor is there is usually one giant stack in the final 3.

try to become that big stack in the final three. work on ways to increase your chip postion on the bubble and it will pay off in more 1st place finishes.

Profit
05-30-2004, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try to become that big stack in the final three. work on ways to increase your chip postion on the bubble and it will pay off in more 1st place finishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

well of course this is much easier to say than to actually do /images/graemlins/smile.gif