PDA

View Full Version : books on calculating odds

ba11game
05-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know of a book that teaches how to calculate poker odds? I am not talking about lists of odds for certain situations, but how to do the math yourself. I am an engineer and I am pretty good at stuff like calculus and trig, but in college I thought statistics was excruciatingly boring and never learned much in that area. For me it would be difficult to memorize tables, but if I could get a good grasp of the fundamentals of the math, I think I could do at least rough calculations in my head while at the table.

MassAve
05-31-2004, 11:34 PM
If hold'em is your game then.

HOLD'EM'S ODDS BOOK
by Mike Petriv $24.95
This work is illustrated, packed with charts, tables, mathematics. A primer on calculating Hold'em probability for the layman: Part I teaches the player how to calculate probability for any situation for every stage of the game; every type of starting hand is tabulated in a logical, consistent, and comprehensive manner. NOT BEEN DONE PREVIOUSLY. The complete methodology and all the calculations are shown. The book is entertaining and informative with much new and original material. Discussions on suited cards vs unsuited cards, the running pair, and improbability are definitive answers on these subjects. No other work is devoted purely to this subject. Not a book for rank beginners!. 207 pages, paperbound. 1996.

mike1212
06-03-2004, 03:21 PM
any other book or website recommendations for learning how to calculate odds in cards and dice games?

or probability in general?

Thanks.

uuDevil
06-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Two basic books:

1. The Mathematics of Games and Gambling, Edward Packel

Just got this. Includes card and dice probability examples. Also has some discussion of expectation and game theory concepts.

2. Probability Without Tears, by Derek Rowntree

May be out of print, but you can still find used copies. Many examples, not directly gambling related though. His Statistics Without Tears is also excellent.

phxbets
06-04-2004, 02:46 PM
The price of this book is all over the lot from $24.95 to $99.00! Gamblers Book Shop in Vegas sells it for $24.95 plus shipping. See www.gamblersbook.com (http://www.gamblersbook.com)

mike1212
06-04-2004, 11:15 PM
I noticed prices were all over. Got it from Amazon for 24.95. Ordered another book also to get over the $25 free shipping hump.