PDA

View Full Version : Flopped straight comments?

The Setup
05-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Usual loose table at party. I'm sure I should have made a couple of more bets here on the turn and river. I think I just got scared for some reason. Comments all streets appreciated.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
Hero bets, BB calls, UTG raises, MP folds, Button calls, Hero 3-bets, BB folds, UTG caps, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero bets, UTG raises, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (15 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero bets, UTG folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Button shows 3h 7h (two pair, fives and threes).
Hero shows Ac 2s (straight, five high).
Outcome: Hero wins 17 BB. </font>

fyodor
05-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Hard to put the UTG on a flush draw (which is probably what he had) when he caps the flop. With him still firing on the turn 33 or 44 becomes a possiblity but 3 betting isn't out of the question.

If you were considering check raising the river (which it turns out probably wouldn't have worked) then you are saying you are leaning towards not believing him in which case you probably should have 3 bet the turn.

Apocalypse
05-30-2004, 03:53 PM
mmm would like to see a poll on this one. 3-bet the turn or call the raise? very player dependant imo, but hard nonetheless.... i think calling a raise, betting the river and calling a raise would be mine line as well. I like your straightforward flopplay as well for best deception and protection against the draws. I'd consider a checkraise here for trapping if it wasn't such a low flop with dangerous outs and only 3 players in.

Brian462
05-30-2004, 04:03 PM
I never understood the whole, "just call the turn raise, bet the river, then just call the river raise" thing. It seems to me, that if you think he's raising on the turn to either take a free showdown or as a value bet with a weaker hand than yours, that you would want to reraise the turn right there. I would only just call the turn raise if I thought I was likely behind in the hand, and since I didn't improve on the river I would then check, not wanting to get raised.

What am I missing here?