PDA

View Full Version : Fish of the ages raises! What to do w/ top pair?

08-24-2002, 06:20 PM
PP, 0.5/1 game.. I'm in the SB and I've got the fish of the ages directly on my right. In fact, he's the reason I even sat down, and it was even better that the seat directly on his left was open. I don't know if this guy just likes pissing chips away, or if he just doesn't know what he's doing, but to give you an example, he check/called the whole way (with a lot of heat on the flop and turn) with KQ on a board of J 3 5 5 5 when I had KK. That's just one example. I could go on and on, but you get the point. Extremely loose, extremely passive. That's basically all you need to know.

So I've got Ah9h in the SB. Cutoff open limps, button (the aforementioned fishy) limps, I limp, BB checks.

Flop comes Ad Td 5x

I bet, BB folds, cutoff calls, button calls.

turn is an offsuit 3

I bet, cutoff calls, button raises.

Now, like I said before, I hadn't seen him raise a hand yet. He's just always calling calling, yet there's no reason to assume his raises mean anything either... what do you do?

08-25-2002, 03:20 PM
Sooga,

Until proven otherwise, I think you have to assume a passive player's turn raise beats top pair. Not to mention top pair, mediocre kicker.

In addition, there's a good chance you're behind the CO.

Seems to me that you're behind and probably drawing dead. I'd dump it.

Donkey

08-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Keep in mind that, when a calling station raises, he probably has a hand. However, it is important that you know what he has, as it will influence your play against him in future hands. So I think you must call him down and try to view his hand. I wouldn't worry too much about the C/O, as he probably has diamonds, or a weak A; otherwise, I would have expected him to raise. Look upon this as an investment for information that will win more money for you. And if you win the hand, fine. Good Luck--Ron