PDA

View Full Version : 1-4-8-8 thoughts

socks1
05-29-2004, 11:29 PM
I've been somewhat uncomfortable in the games with half sized blinds, both 4/8 and 6/12 because I'm not really sure how they affect the game. I feel like:

a)I should be playing tighter because there's is less blind money to attack, especially in early positions that could be raised.

b) I should limp in from late position with more drawing hands because of the greater implied odds.

c) I should raise with slightly weaker hands in late position to punish others who play too many drawing hands from earlier positions.

Which brings me to my next question: In a fairly loose game (5-6 players seeing every flop, raised or not) how much does it really hurt them to have a drawing hand raised? Should I be playing drawing hands in mid position because it doesn't hurt (that much) in such a game to have your hand raised? Should I be dumping KQo in such a game because the schooling effect has made their drawing hands appropriate at the cost of normally appropriate offsuit cards?

I've become known as an exceedingly tight player in the Palms 4/8 game, but I feel like the way people expect me to play is just going to randomize things... To be fair, I did a little math the other day, and I have been playing too tight, maybe 16% of hands.

I've done searches both on this forum and google and I havn't been able to find much discussion. Any thought would be appreciated. I'm begining to feel like the 1-4-8-8 games have some guarded secret.

Thanks,
John