PDA

View Full Version : Pokerstars $10 Rebuy Tourney - Stupid Bluff?

Utah
05-29-2004, 05:52 PM
I have average stack of around $6000. Its shortly after the rebuy period. I have been at this table for 5 minutes.

Blinds 100/200.
I am in the big blind.

Its folded to the button who limps in (he has $6000). SB completes.

I have A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I make it 1000 to go.

button calls and sb folds

flop is J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I push in my remaining $5,000.

I push because I cant really put the button on a hand that can call here except 6,6 or 2,2. I have represented a big pair or A,K and it would be hard for the button to call with a J for his whole stack.

Button has J,5o and takes down the pot.

Was the bluff okay?

jacki
05-29-2004, 06:00 PM
In short, yes.

In most low-buyin online tourneys, it is inadvisable to try to make moves on all of the bad players that are around early in the game. And in a rebuy, the tourney doesn't really start until the rebuy period is over. So at this point, it's not very wise to risk your whole stack.

If this is the same situation, and you're much further along in the tourney, this move could be OK, if you have a read on the opponent.

DogFace
05-29-2004, 11:03 PM
The thing about that bluff is that it is very fishy. If you had a big pair, why would you try to push everyone out of the pot? If I see a guy raise before that flop and then move in unprovoked I'm going to think he probably has AK and missed. If he had a jack or an over pair then he probably would have played it a bit more slowly. The last thing you want to do when you have a big hand is scare everyone off.

rennard
05-30-2004, 01:49 AM
Moving in for a very large bet - but not quite all in - would probably have been scarier than moving all in. Pushing is often read (mistakenly or not) as a desperation move - which, in your case, it was. It's better to lose a one hand that the whole enchilada.

trillig
05-30-2004, 05:42 AM
Like the other guys said, I think that was a bad spot... tighter early....

But, if going for it, 2000 total on flop, 2000 on turn, and 2000 on river might have worked out better... J5 won't look so good when he faces 3 big bets in a row and a good chance of A K or Q coming on either turn or river.... let 'em see the whole board...

-Bri

VarlosZ
05-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I think you have to slam on the brakes after the button calls your preflop bluff. Either he's playing quite loose, in which case you shouldn't be bluffing him, or he's slowplaying a monster, in which case you shouldn't be bluffing him (especially for all your chips).

gojacketz
05-30-2004, 12:37 PM
I have noticed in the lower buyin tourneys that a lot of players at Stars and other sites will call all in with two big cards a great deal of the time.

The limp and flat call preflop by the button is perplexing, do you have any kind of read on him? Decent player? Maniac? Could he be trapping here? Played with him in any tourneys before (I tend to discount anything that went on before the rebuys ended)?

Gojacketz