PDA

View Full Version : Stupid play to get knocked out in fourth?

edge
05-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Hi, first post and all that, and I'm still a newbie. I knocked myself out in fourth in two straight 5+0.50 SNGs with the exact same thing - betting all-in on the turn into an unlikely straight that was just made. In this one, my image is very tight, and when I do my standard preflop raise to 3xBB, I usually push the others out. I read the other guy for a low Ace in this hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed)

UTG (t1590)
Button (t2460)
SB (t7520)
Hero (t1930)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, Button calls t100, SB completes, Hero raises to t300, Button calls t200, SB folds.

Flop: (t700) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t700) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets t1630 (All-In), Button calls t1630.

River: (t3960) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t3960

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Button shows 6s 8s (straight, ten high).
Hero shows As Kc (high card, ace).
Outcome: Button wins t3960. </font>

Should I have pushed on the flop, or just let this pot go and looked for a better spot?

C M Burns
05-29-2004, 06:06 PM
first b/c each person left has put money in the pot your raise should be bigger 4 or 500, you should be happy to take down a small pot at this point, with a hand that is only 50/50 to hit the flop more or less, you don't want garanteed calls.

second, you should bet out on the flop, but it does not have to be allin, this goes for the turn to. If as you say they see u as tight, a little less than the pot is fine. you've raised so you can represent a big pair. unless the person if verry agressive, i would fold to a rr and almost give up with a call if i don't hit the turn.

I've found that staying alive at this point is more crutial than exploiting a small edge, especially given there is one very big stack, even if u double here you still are an underdog for first. If you raise and have to fold you still will have enough to wait a little while for a hand to try and double up, and in that time someone may bust out.

In general i like to be aggressive but stay alive if you get burned, just having afew chips left to try and comeback on occasion can add alot to your overall equity.

holeplug
05-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Ok I thought you were heads up against the SB. I'm an idiot