PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations

davidross
05-29-2004, 03:03 PM
OK, I'm kicking myself now for not buying some books when they had them for sale 20 feet from the tournament room at Binions last week. I'm going to spend some time working on my touurnament game this year. Next year I want to go back to the WSOP with a chance to qualify for an event. So I will begin with some research. I have read TPFAP a few times now, and I do have Hellmuths book already (for better or for worse). I'm looking for suggestions on other tournament books to purchase. THe two obvious ones I saw were Super System and The McEvoy/CLoutier book. I understand they are updating SUper System and I wonder if I should wait for the new one.

bathroompants
05-29-2004, 04:16 PM
If you're just looking for strictly tournament books that are good, tpfap is your best bet. If you're looking to improve your game all around, IM me and we can talk about different books(aim sn= Bathroompants).

I'd say definately wait for SuperSystem2 to come out instead of buying Super System 1. Personally I'm pretty excited about it.

SlickRick
05-29-2004, 06:07 PM
David, Tournament Poker by McEvoy and Championship NL/PL by Cloutier/McEvoy are must reads IMHO. Super systems is a little dated. Works a lot better with Caro's update pages. I just got knocked out of the Party Mil tourny but I'm still cheering for you.

Rick

Nemesis
05-29-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm reading Championship NL/PL by T.J. and McEvoy... it's pretty empty of content so far. I am through all the PL stuff and found VERY little info. Am i not reading closely or am i just not understanding? I'm so used to the 2+2 clear (relatively) conscise mathematical/analytical style that it's blowing me away. T.J. says do this and this, unless you just FEEL lucky or if you're IN THE ZONE play this hand. To me that sounds like a way to be a loser?

cjromero
05-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Don't forget about the two new 2+2 tournament books coming out, one later this year and one early 2005. Dan Harrington is co-authoring both of them.

Mason started a thread with the new book schedule in the Books/Software forum within the last 2-3 weeks, but I couldn't find the link at first glance.

ZeeJustin
05-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Super System is horribly outdated, and I do not recommend reading it, unless you want to learn why AK is more profitable than AA.

TPFAP on the other hand is an amazing book, and I HIGHLY recommend reading it.

Edit: I have not read TJ's book, but from what I have heard, it's no TPFAP.

MarkD
05-30-2004, 03:41 AM
So tha'ts it? Just one book? I would think Stuart/Ciaffone PL/NL would be useful and there must be a couple of others that will greatly supplement TPFAP or is that one book the cat's ass?

dutchtilt
05-30-2004, 05:20 AM
beside the books already mentioned you can find a lot of useful information in Ken Buntjer's Secret to Winning Big in Tournaments

trillig
05-30-2004, 05:29 AM
I like the Tournament Practice Hands book by Tom and TJ, I asked Tom about it once, and he said that possibly a new one in same vein will be done down the road with 101 practice hands, this was back in Feb. of this year.

Best of luck!

-Bri

gojacketz
05-30-2004, 02:34 PM
I like the Ciaffone/Reuben book a lot. Lots of good information in the book. I reread it every few months. Good ring game info in there, and a tourney section.

You may also want to grab Reuben's "How good is your Pot Limit Holdem Book?". It is pretty interesting and goes through the though process of each decision that he makes (ring and a few tournament hands). I don't agree with a few of his plays that he says are the "correct play" in the book (some seem a little passive), but the book is definitely worth checking out.

I think being a regular poster/reader on the 2+2 boards as you are is the best education that you can get.

Gojacketz

auntieklava
05-30-2004, 03:42 PM
I haven't really read any of the newer books. Of the older ones, Reubens/Ciaffone's "PL and NL poker" is IMO by far the best on big-bet poker. The NL-section of SuperSystem is a valuable read, but the games have changed drastically since it was written, essentially they recommend a style which is far too aggressive. If you're only getting one, I'd wait for the new one. As for the McEvoy/Cloutier Championship-series, well, painful is the most accurate description I can think of at the moment (insert headachesmiley).

RobGW
05-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Theory of Poker and Holdem Poker for Advanced Players are both must reads. They are not geared to NL tournaments but will help tremendously on the overall strategy and concepts. Supersystem is outdated. Wait for the new one.