PDA

View Full Version : Two big pocket pair hands

Keats13
05-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Two hands about 8 deals apart from a 3/6 session last night. First one happened fairly early into the session, I don't really recognize any opponents. MP3 in hand 1/CO in hand 2 seems to be playing a lot, but with such a small sample (maybe 2 orbits), that could just be good cards...

Results from the first hand included, as they were still fresh in my memory for hand 2. Anything I should have done differently in either hand?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hand 1: Keats13 is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Keats13 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Keats13 bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Keats13 calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.66 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Keats13 calls, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

River: (11.66 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Keats13 calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 13.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP3 shows Ad Js (two pair, aces and jacks).
Keats13 shows Ah As (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Keats13 wins 13.66 BB. </font>

Hand 2: Keats13 is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. (CO is MP3 from Hand 1)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Keats13 raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Keats13 bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Keats13 bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Keats13 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Keats13 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Keats13 folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

Bob T.
05-29-2004, 03:04 PM
On the AA hand, why didn't you raise the turn?

I think with that board, facing two bets, you have to fold QQ on the river.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

adanthar
05-29-2004, 04:54 PM
My case of big pair calldownitis I mentioned earlier probably leads me to at least think about calling the queens...but a fold is better.

As for the aces, three betting the flop tells you exactly where you are and may trap the pair+inside straight draws for another couple of bets. Raising the turn works, too. Not doing any of that is pretty bad- just how many non-QJ hands would *you* checkraise in that situation? I can think of about six.

James Boston
05-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Hand 1: One re-raise doesn't warrant going into check-call mode. Either 3-bet the flop or raise the turn.

Hand 2: Good lay down.

ggano
05-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Jeez - I'm not gonna let you and JSD call me weak-tight anymore /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You went into check/call mode with the 2nd nuts. If you don't 3-bet with a set of aces, when do you 3-bet? (Or raise the turn.)

On hand 2, I think it's a close decision on the river, and folding is fine. Why not 3-bet the turn? He might have a set, but I think a draw is a lot more likely.

Keats13
05-30-2004, 11:50 PM
With my position, I figured calling the check/raise and turn bet were the safest way to get the money into the pot.

3-betting the flop or raising the turn probably chases UTG and MP2. If I'm ahead, I may get a call from MP3, but if I'm behind I'm getting re-raised and have to call.