PDA

View Full Version : Weird rules in a fundraiser tournament...correct play?

bathroompants
05-29-2004, 01:13 PM
I went to go play in this tournament for some football team and they had some odd rules...that i guess were due to the fact that they only had the hall rented will 1:30 am. Anyway from 6:30-9:30 was the first round(blinds levels go up every half hour). At 9:30 the top 3 people in chips at your table advance. From 9:30-11:30 is round 2, and the highest person at the table advances to the end. Where it is counted down till 1:30 where the places are determined by chips if needed.

When I read this I froze up a little bit, since i was going into the tournament thinking solid play will get me the win against these people who knew nothing about poker.

After that I began to think about what would be the correct play for the first round....since that was the most immediate problem I had to face...and just realized that normal tight play will take me to the top 3. And as I thought, i placed 3rd at my table with 1800 chips going into round 2.

Round 2 starts off, and I'm severely short stacked, so I try to get into position over the people with more than me, and sit to the left of someone with around 7000. Round 2 was where I wasn't sure what the most correct play would be. So with around 1 and a half hours left I still only had about 1900-2000 and figured I better start making some moves or I'm not going to round 3, and started loosening up a bit and using some plays on these people. Which actually seemingly worked and i took about 30-40% of the chips at the table taking me to 7000-8000 within the next 10-20 minutes. Once i had the chip lead i tightened up and let the other guys fighting out. But letting them fight it out cost me going into round 2, since one guy took the rest of their chips, and it left me with no time to take anything back.

What would any of you do in a similar situation?