PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging limps

08-22-2002, 12:47 PM
I've been experimenting with limping in early (1 to 2 off the BB) with hands like A3s and J10s in games where those to my immediate left are likely to follow my lead- and give me the odds. This may be over confidence in my post flop abilities or more likely a new sprung leak in my game. However, I've been having some success. Does anyone feel this is ever correct or is it completely table dependant?

08-22-2002, 01:11 PM
I rarely fold suited aces or suited paint for a single bet preflop. The game must be particularly aggressive for me to dump them in EP.

08-22-2002, 01:26 PM
I must admit, CM that I tried this after reading one of ur posts. I've also tried 3 betting a late raiser when it appears it'll be 4 handed (myself, raiser and one or both of the blinds)and I may be able to take control of the hand. Too agressive? or acceptable as a variance play?

08-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Depends on the hands you are 3-betting with, the open raising standards of the initial raiser, and your postflop skill relative to him/her.

The tigher they are, the more hand you need.

The better they are relative to you, the more hand you need.

However, eve against poor players, you don't usually want to be 3-bet isolating with hands like JTs, becuase you generally need some showdown value.

The ability/tightness of the blinds is also a factor.

In short, as is so often the case in poker....it depends!

08-23-2002, 04:43 AM
Play those hands up front if the table is loose, and preferrably passive. If the game is tight and aggr, muck those cards.