PDA

View Full Version : Top pair, weak kicker, raised on the flop

08-22-2002, 10:28 AM
Online 3/6. 8 players. I am in the SB with Ac 8c. UTG limps, MP1 limps and MP2 limps. Folded to me and I complete. Is this too loose? I wouldn't play A8o. BB checks. 5 see the flop.

*** FLOP *** : [ Kc 9h Ah ]

I decide to check and see the action before comitting myself. UTG bets, and MP1 raises. MP2 folds and now it's my play.

Do you factor in the backdoor flush at all? I don't think I'm facing AK or AQ but AJ, AT or A9 are definite possibilities.

Anyway I folded and felt pretty good about it. But it turns out I would have won the hand. Just wondering if anyone thinks I should have played on.

UTG had KQ, and MP1 had K9. Turn and river were both 5's and my Aces up would have beat his K's and 9's.

Should I have bet the flop?

08-22-2002, 11:27 AM
You played the hand fine. The preflop call isn't even open for debate. The flop check is fine, especially if you would have been open to the possibility of checkraising a late position bettor. As far as flopping top pair goes, this isn't a great flop for you. There's a flush draw, a couple of reasonable two pair possibilities, and gutshots up the wazoo. You don't figure to pick up this pot on the flop by betting. You were getting 4 to 1 on the flop call with the possibility of it getting reraised after your call. The backdoor flush draw helps, but not nearly enough.

08-22-2002, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure what the right play in that situation is; partly because I'd never be in that situation, I'd definitely bet the flop. Incidently I think the backdoor flush is worth considering, and another reason why you should bet. I wouldn't be too worried about A9 since I'd expect him to come out on the turn, AT and AJ are definitely the hands to fear

btw, If completing the bet with A8s in this position is too loose then I don't want to be tight.

08-22-2002, 04:05 PM
A8s is a strong multiway hand and you should start limping with it in unraised pots if you aren't already. On the button with many in, it may be worth a raise. Definitely worth a complete in the small blind.

Your fold was correct. Don't think "I would have won the hand." Instead, think, "I was behind and drawing to 3 outs (assuming someone had an A) and was not getting pot odds to call two cold."

08-22-2002, 04:47 PM
At the lower limits you will see many players holding A anything and come out raising on a flop with an Ace in it. If there was no preflop raise I would be inclined to call the flop and see if there is much raising after the turn..Many low limit players will raise utg with A-10 or better..Since there was no preflop raise I would have continued....

08-22-2002, 05:20 PM
"since there was no preflop raise I would have continued (and called the 2 bets cold on the flop)"

When davidross checks, he is saying "lets see if anyone is excited about their hand on this highly coordinated flop. With 2 EP limpers, I could easily be dominated here and might even be drawing nearly dead to running 8's. In the chance I am ahead, it is a tenuous lead at best."

Here's the important point: He checked to see how the hand developed and got the information he needed: It was bet and raised in front of him by the two people he should be most afraid of. Now use that information and fold!

I see so many people at the table make a bet, or checkraise, or whatever to get information. They then get that information (that they are beat) and ignore it,continuing on with the hand to the bitter end.

Like Dynasty says...what good is having hand reading skills if you don't trust them enough to fold. His read was that if there was substantial action he was trailing and would fold. His read was right. Fold and move on to the next hand.

08-22-2002, 06:18 PM
I was playing in a game of poor players. flop raised to three bets every other time. Three guys I noticed played Ace-anything. One guy always raised Ace-anthing.

Two hands, both with seven people on the flop for one bet. Twice I Folded Axs with an Axx(rainbow, and not my suit) flop, when it was bet and raised in front of me. Both times I figured "OK, six people are acting before me, one has to have an ace if there's this kind of action, and it must be higer then seven (what I had both times)" The pot was won by Ace-3 and Ace-2 respectively. Was I doing the right thing? If it happened again in the game I was resolved to hold onto my Ace-whatever suited.