PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review: Shade; Big Thumbs Down

benfranklin
05-29-2004, 03:18 AM
I really wanted to watch this movie. I really wanted to like it. I had to turn it off. It was awful.

Several "MAJOR DRAMATIC MOMENTS" were based on incredible, laughable violations of basic table stakes rules.

1. Player is raised, and goes into his pocket for cash to re-raise a big pot.

2. Player is raised more than he has on the table. He goes into his pocket for more, but still not enough. Raiser pulls back enough so the raise equals amount on table plus amount in pocket, allowing him to call if he wants to.

3. I turn off the DVD, resisting the urge to throw things at the TV.

The writer/director apparently learned poker by watching old Westerns. I see your bet, and raise you the mortgage on your ranch. This used DVD will be available for cheap resale on Amazon Marketplace very soon.

Nepa
05-30-2004, 08:13 PM
The one I really want to see is Stuey. But I think they changed the name of the movie.

Did you see that one?

natedogg
05-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Using dramatic license is ok if the story is good. One of the best poker movies ever made was "A Big Hand for the Little Lady" and it relied solely on the notion that you could raise someone out of a hand if they couldn't meet the stakes. Nevertheless, it was a great film.

natedogg

benfranklin
05-30-2004, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The one I really want to see is Stuey. But I think they changed the name of the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.stueymovie.com/

I think it had a very limited release in theaters, and should be out on DVD soon.

Nepa
05-31-2004, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.stueymovie.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

I have watched the trailers and it seems like it could be a pretty decent flick.

youtalkfunny
05-31-2004, 03:49 AM
Those Stuey trailers look awesome!

"DJ liked golf...I couldn't really play, but we worked it out where I matched up pretty good. In golf, you can do dat."

Big points for the music, in the main trailer, and in the golf blurb. And Michael Imperioli captures my attention, AND HOLDS IT, in everything he does.

And of course, Bobby Bacala is there to watch Chrissy's back. /images/graemlins/smile.gif