PDA

View Full Version : Shorthanded play

Prez
05-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Hi guys,

I know that when I have a small stack my play is really bad and it surely cost me a lot of money... When the blinds are around 1/10 of my stack I dont know how to play. Some people says that you are pot committed almost everytimes you get involved in a pot where the BB was at least 1/10 of your stack? So should I always raise all in or fold preflop when the blinds are at least 1/10 of my stack? Or is this pot committed thing not true?

So here is 3 exemples of situations that happenned in the same 20$ sit&go on Pokerstars where I really didnt know what was the best play : (I know those answers depends on the strenght of my opponents but if you could give me some general hints it would really be appreciated!)

Seat 1: Slowwalker (2565 in chips)
Seat 2: infamous8cm (1265 in chips)
Seat 3: fcmnyc (960 in chips)
Seat 5: jrsyjdjoe (1605 in chips)
Seat 6: Hero (960 in chips)
Seat 7: AndyPerot (2055 in chips)
Seat 8: BIGxFRANK (4090 in chips)
AndyPerot: posts small blind 75
BIGxFRANK: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ah 2d]
Slowwalker: folds
infamous8cm: folds
fcmnyc: folds
jrsyjdjoe: folds
Hero: ??? Fold, Limp, Raise, all in ???

Seat 1: Slowwalker (4087 in chips)
Seat 5: jrsyjdjoe (1796 in chips)
Seat 6: Hero (762 in chips)
Seat 7: AndyPerot (680 in chips)
Seat 8: BIGxFRANK (6175 in chips)
Slowwalker: posts the ante 25
jrsyjdjoe: posts the ante 25
Hero: posts the ante 25
AndyPerot: posts the ante 25
BIGxFRANK: posts the ante 25
jrsyjdjoe: posts small blind 100
Hero: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [5d 9c]
AndyPerot: folds
BIGxFRANK: folds
Slowwalker: raises 200 to 400
Hero: ??? Call, All in or fold ???

Seat 1: Slowwalker (3325 in chips)
Seat 5: jrsyjdjoe (1671 in chips)
Seat 6: Hero (1699 in chips)
Seat 7: AndyPerot (655 in chips)
Seat 8: BIGxFRANK (6150 in chips)
Slowwalker: posts the ante 25
jrsyjdjoe: posts the ante 25
Hero: posts the ante 25
AndyPerot: posts the ante 25
BIGxFRANK: posts the ante 25
Hero: posts small blind 100
AndyPerot: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Kh 7d]

BIGxFRANK: folds
Slowwalker: folds
Hero: ??? Fold, Limp, All in ???

So I'd like to know what you would probably do in those situations... And also, if you have some hints that could help me about those Big Blinds Shorthanded games it would really be appreciated!!

Thanks!

trillig
05-29-2004, 06:39 AM
Howdy,

Last post of the night for me... so I hope typos are minimal... 8)

Hand #1 I'd fold, you have no funds invested in it, A2o is junk.

Hand #2 Auto fold, I don't even consider it, 95o is worse than junk to a raise.

Hand #3 is good time to try and just steal the BB since he is only one left, so is that player someone who defends or does he not and have you been stealing them previously much?

If not a big defender, then I send in 50% of my stack, and if the flop is ugly or helps u, ie K hits, then in goes the rest, I call it my half and half rule.

I don't panic because I am low in chips and the blinds are coming, I still have to be a bit choosey if AI'n, and prefer the half PF, half AF play....

My requirements for desperation mode are for the most part:

Any one gap J9 or higher, suited or not.
Any no gap 98s or higher. [feeling lucky? 87s is ok]
Ace with anything suited.
Any pair 55-AA.
KT, AJ suited or not.
K9s, ATs

Always prefer suited, but only adds a little bit of value.

If everyone calls in front of me on the button, even 54s starts to look playable, since it is likely a lot of high cards are spoken for....

Hope that helps somewhat...

When I am behind, I am even more aggressive then when I am not, usually. 8)

-Bri

davideasg
05-29-2004, 06:55 AM
1. If the BB weren't so well stacked, I'd seriously consider pushing in.

2. Fold. No question about it.

3. Push in.

RobGW
05-29-2004, 01:51 PM
This is a good question. When it is shorthanded and the blinds are high you need to be very aggressive. You need to steal the blinds or get lucky. You cannot wait for premium hands or you will be gone soon if they do not come.

Hand 1: All in. A2 is not that bad a hand shorthanded and you need to steal the blinds here. Everyone else has shown weakness.
Hand 2: Fold. There is a lot of money in there and you are getting good odds. However, someone else has already shown aggression and will not fold if you push here so you would have to win with 95. I don't like your chances there.
Hand 3: Raise to 600. If the BB doesnt have a hand he may fold. He is shortstacked here so he may call with anything giving you a chance to double up.

In general though I would say that when the blinds get to 1/6 of your stack it is time to push of fold. Try to push when A. you have a good hand or B. when everyone else has shown weakness. This part of the game is the most important. It will make the difference between coming in 4th and winning $0 and coming in 1st or 2nd and bringing home some $$. Keep practicing.