PDA

View Full Version : Drawing hands and SNG's

twolf
05-28-2004, 10:37 PM
I recently played a hand in which I had KcQd and the flop came three diamonds and I never got the 4th one. Is it worth it in SNG's to play drawing hands such as 78s or Axs or go for the draws like I mentioned above? I realize that in the early stages it may be worth it if you can get it for cheap, but overall is it worth it?

NotMitch
05-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Three things to think about when thinking about drawing hands.

1. Stack size/blind size. A site like Stars with deeper money and smaller blinds relative to the stack sizes is a better place to play drawing hands. If you can see a flop cheaply with a hand that can make something huge early you can play it. Examples Axs, small pocket pairs, small suited connectors.

2. How agressive is the table? If you aren't going to be able to draw cheaply it probably isn't going to be worth it, and you wont have to pot odds to play it. It is also much better to play these types of hands from LP or the button since you are less likely to face a large bet behind you if flop a strong draw.

3. How much will you get paid if you make your hand? If players are shutting down when a 3rd suited cards comes, or they are not paying off hands in general it probably isn't worth playing as many drawing hands.

You also need to think about how many ways a hand can win. K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif has a much better chance of winning with a pair than 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. KQs is drawing to straights, flushes and pairs, 67s just straights and flushes. Hope this helps.

Nak
05-29-2004, 01:43 AM
I am interested in what others have to say, but I wouldn't play such hands. I tend to be tight as a Nun early in the tournament.

Nak

Lori
05-29-2004, 05:12 AM
If you get 40% ITM and have a 33% draw, you need particuarly good odds (First place type chip size pot) to make a drawing call.

If you get 25% ITM and have that same draw for a nice pot, you should probably call.... but then that would set a bad habit as anyone who knows their ITM score is probably bright enough to be a winner when they get some experience and learning behind them.

Lori

trillig
05-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi, problem with that draw, unless AdKd is on the board, you are not drawing to the NUTS with that Qd in your hand.

Omaha players get slaughtered doing that all the time... There draw to the NUTS and NUTS only.

Why? So much more of the deck is in play...
That and they need 2 of the suite in their hand to get the flush.... LOL!

Draw to the nuts or 2nd nuts is my policy in HE... also though my stack vs % it costs me to continue and how far along we are definitely factor into my moves....

-Bri