PDA

View Full Version : KQo on the button

thirddan
05-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB is weak and calls too much, other players are decent...
MP3 would not raise with a good hand in the situation (part of why i didn't raise preflop)...

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 14.25 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>

My question is mainly about the river...do i have a clear value bet? is calling the c/r an easy call?

Keats13
05-28-2004, 11:53 PM
I think you have to raise KQo preflop. Just because MP3 would limp with a better hand doesn't mean he has a better hand every time he limps. (I hope I worded that correctly, it made sense in my mind...)

I'm guessing BB had a 5 that got a free ride into the flop. Maybe he would have played it anyway (and if it wasn't Q5 or J5, the flop cold-call is still pretty bad)

The river bet is fine. There has been nothing to indicate that your hand isn't best, and you have an apparent calling station in the hand. When he check/raises, I get that sick feeling that tells me I'm beat, but I convince myself that there's a 7% chance he's bluffing and call.

rkaufman
05-29-2004, 12:28 AM
According to HEPFAP, limping or raising here are both viable options. (if you, like myself, believe it does apply to Party 2/4 games).

From your description of the BB, there's no way you can check the river. He could be calling with any kind of Q, or possibly J. As for calling the checkraise, I think that's a necessity as well, not because he's bluffing sometimes (and this seems an unlikely place for anyone to bluff), but rather because folding lets your opponent know that he can bully you. Others on this forum might disagree, but I think this is a big factor in this kind of situation.

Then again, maybe this player is weak enough that he won't take advantage of this. That depends on your read of him.

Rob

DaveFoldsFive
05-29-2004, 01:29 AM
Even with your read, you need to raise preflop because there's only one person in and only two people behind you. Use your read to help you fold later on in the hand, but if a cheap 5 got to the turn because he wasn't afraid of your flop bet, you can blame your weak limp.

Oh, and bet-call the raise on the river.

MCS
05-29-2004, 09:15 AM
I think you definitely have a river value bet. No one has given you any indication they have a better hand than KQ, and people call with all sorts of crap.

If I'm in this spot, once I'm checkraised I make a crying call. the thing is, I'm not sure I SHOULD. I don't think I win 7% of the hands where I get checkraised on the river. I don't ever recall seeing someone do that as a bluff.

But then again, I haven't played all that many hands. So maybe the crying call is more obvious than I think.