PDA

View Full Version : World Champ?. My dog plays better than Harrington.

Baulucky
05-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Hand #33, Raymer's button. Raymer makes it $160,000 to go from the button and Harrington calls from the big blind. The flo pcomes 7h 9s Jc. Herrington checks, Raymer bets $300,000, Harrington moves all in for $950,000 and Raymer calls. Harrington has 9h Qd, Raymer has Ac Js. The turn comes 3h, the river comes 9d. Harrington makes trips on the river and doubles up to over $2 million.

fluff
05-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Your dog made 2 WSOP final tables back to back?

How do you teach it not to wag his tail when he gets a good hand?

Mine can only beat party 0.5/1 /images/graemlins/confused.gif

La Brujita
05-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Dan made a very solid play imo.

Baulucky
05-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah. He rivered a 9. He must have one of those pattern maps for B&M...

La Brujita
05-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Sometimes you make a good play and are behind. That doesn't make your play bad. If Greg is betting every flop middle pair looks pretty good. BTW I am rooting for Greg.

KC50
05-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Stars simalcast had it that Greg flat called btf and Dan rapped his BB. On the flop when Dan mad bottom pair it had Dan goining in immediatlely and Greg calling.

Lazymeatball
05-28-2004, 06:46 PM
It is called a semibluff because it has two chances to succeed. Either the other player will fold, or if he calls, you still have a chance to outdraw your opponent. Whether this was a good spot to do it, I'm no tournament expert.

Baulucky
05-28-2004, 06:48 PM
Different hand altogether then...

ZeeJustin
05-28-2004, 06:48 PM
The flop is J97. It's not all that likely that Raymer has a better hand than a pair of 9's.

Baulucky
05-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Dunno man. Middle pair for all your chips?.

After KC50's post I'm not sure how the hand went down.

Ulysses
05-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Greg has been growing his stack all tourney by taking down pots w/ well placed aggression. I bet he has opened like that on the button and auto-bet on the flop numerous times. Sometimes he's had a hand, sometimes he hasn't. Chances are good that Dan has the best hand. I think both players played this hand well.

balt999
05-28-2004, 08:00 PM
That's why Harrington has 3 WSOP final tables in 10 years, and we're sitting here talking about it..

Dan Harrington is one the best NL Tourney Players..and he's showing us why.

GrannyMae
05-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Dan Harrington is one the best NL Tourney Players

may be one of the best overall.

this, and josh's agressiveness is going to be greg's biggest challenge. harrington is a threat with 2.5mil in chips.

fossliman has shown he has plenty of game tho. will be a great final 4

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/l0/bored.gif

PITTM
05-28-2004, 09:52 PM
just took a bad beat for all his chips, the caller got a runner runner boat.

rj

WorstPlayerEver
05-28-2004, 09:56 PM
PITT, I see why you think internet poker is rigged man...

Caller had bottom 2 and filled up on river. Dan had 4 out outside str8 draw, only card helping him was a four.

PITTM
05-28-2004, 09:58 PM
pokervoice said that williams had 23 and runner runnered the boat, pokerstars just showed williams eliminate him with a straight...

rj

PITTM
05-28-2004, 09:59 PM
oh, im glad you remember that, i dont...

rj

Baulucky
05-29-2004, 06:47 AM
Thanks for input. I guess I still have a lot to learn. I still don't understand Harrington's risking all the chips with a mediocre second pair or even calling a medium size preflop raise with Q9o.

Lori
05-29-2004, 06:58 AM
or even calling a medium size preflop raise with Q9o.

There was a lot of play that stemmed from Arieh's aggression.
Greg was taking on Arieh at every opportunity, and Harrington started to do the same to Greg.

His table (and previous) image was tight enough that he could possibly move Greg off a medium hand and Greg was likely to raise with almost any two and bet anything on that flop.

Harrington figured to be in front, and if not in front would be very unlucky to be a) called AND b) drawing dead.

The combination of all these factors makes the check raise a very good and proper play, you could argue that he was incredibly unlucky to not only be up against AJ but to be called by it.

Edit: With the numbers in your original post AJ has to call, I remember the bet as being somewhat larger (due to Stars wrong chip counts at the time)

Lori

peiper
05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
C'mon Bau, you don't think Raymer had to catch a couple of lucky hands to get where he did? Or Moneymaker last year?

Harrington made it to the final table two years in a row. That says it all for me. That hand might have been questionable, but the guy is a top notch player.

Can't wait for his book to come out in November!

Baulucky
05-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks Lori. I hope to understand one of these days...

Army Eye
05-29-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dunno man. Middle pair for all your chips?.

After KC50's post I'm not sure how the hand went down.

[/ QUOTE ]

He thought he was ahead. Do you always assume your opponent has flopped top pair in a heads-up situation?

Lunamondo
05-29-2004, 06:08 PM
I think he did the right play as what was he suppose to do, to fold? He was probably suppose to check-raise it (though the bettor was solid after the flop what I saw) and he didn't have all that much that it would make sense to do anything else but check-raise all in. The hand that eliminated him, a turn semi-bluff check-raise is a question for me as there was a good chance his opponent (the calling station) was betting a real hand and even if he would just call to draw, he would win most likely (the 86).

Tosh
05-29-2004, 06:15 PM
I like how both played the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
It is called a semibluff because it has two chances to succeed. Either the other player will fold, or if he calls, you still have a chance to outdraw your opponent. Whether this was a good spot to do it, I'm no tournament expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a semi bluff.