PDA

View Full Version : NL decesion making based on odds.

stillachargerfan
05-28-2004, 04:43 PM
I have been reading posts on this board for the last few months and enjoy getting a glimpse into other players thought processes. This is a great place for new players to get advice on how to play but I notice that most discussions base their responses on the odds of certain things happening. I think most people still respond to situations with a limit mentality. This is not always the best strategy in NL. Read Skalansy Limit Holdem for Adv Players then read Brunson's section on NL for an extreme contrast. Limit is science, NL is art and while we need tools(math) to illustrate and disc strategy, you can't formulate a winning game plan if your always figuering out pot odds to make decesions. A good example would be small pairs that get raised on the preflop. I look at the size of my opponent's stack and the people calling. I'm not getting 7.5 to 1 on my money. I'm playing NL odds, the cost of the small raise vs all of my opponents money.
I could go on with many examples but until a new player really understands what the TRUE value of their implied odds are, I think they will miss out on many profitable situations. I'm curious what everyone thinks.

Richie Rich
05-28-2004, 05:15 PM
Whether you're playing limit or NL/PL, you have to forumulate many of your decisions based upon odds. In limit, we're dealing with effective odds; in NL/PL, it's usually about implied odds. I don't feel like getting into a deep discussion about examples...but anyone else is welcome to.

Paul2432
05-28-2004, 08:47 PM
I agree, but don't get carried away, especially out of position. It is easy to justify all kinds of bad calls on the basis of implied odds if you don't consider that you may not get paid if you hit, and second, you may make a second best hand.

Paul

mat
05-28-2004, 11:58 PM
this is a little off topic but its nice to see another charger fan out there SD