PDA

View Full Version : Crazy 88's

Joe826
05-28-2004, 05:32 AM
MP1 seems to be reasonably solid.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 5.50 BB, won by MP1.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by MP1.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. MP1 wins 6.50 BB. </font>

Anyone check behind on the turn? Anyone call down on the chance that he's semibluffing with a draw? A boring hand I know, but any input would be sweet.

Fnord
05-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Granted this is above my limits...

I would raise pre-flop. 88 plays better without the blinds getting mixed up in it and if you get 3-bet by MP1 you have some information to work with.

Call me weak, but I check the turn and check/call the river unimproved. He probably doesn't have it and a check/raise on the turn is just going to make you sick, since it's tough to know where you're at with medium pocket pairs w/o a set. You're a 55% favorite against his likely 2 big cards, throw in the blind money and you're getting the best of it. If he does have it, then you've shut down his value play and he has made the fatal error of giving you a free shot at his made hand.

asdf1234
05-28-2004, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he does have it, then you've shut down his value play and he has made the fatal error of giving you a free shot at his made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he doesn't have it, but has something like KJ and would have folded to your turn bet and subsequently catches a jack to beat you?

Trix
05-28-2004, 05:59 AM
I would 3bet and fold to a cap if I thought he was solid.

asdf1234
05-28-2004, 06:00 AM
I think your line here is fine. Free cards in this spot would be bad, so if you are ahead, you have to bet to make him pay. When he checkraises the turn, you're pretty screwed. Even if he doesn't have you beat already, he probably has at least 11 outs to win. You're not going to win enough here to make this profitable.

Fnord
05-28-2004, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What if he doesn't have it, but has something like KJ and would have folded to your turn bet and subsequently catches a jack to beat you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he beats you for pot +1 BB. Are you better off making him beat you with cards or to allow him steal the pot on nothing because you're not so sure about your 8s? How often is he going to make that river bet just because you checked the turn?