PDA

View Full Version : From a relative SNG virgin....

Gomez22
05-28-2004, 01:27 AM
Today, I played 8 SNG's and 3MTT's(no ring games today), just to see waht the SNG's were like. I've played maybe 25-30 before today, but never more than 1 or so a day. It was always just something for me to do that was "different".

Anyways, here are my results:

PARTY: 2 $5+$1 SNGs(I used the free $20 I got a few weeks ago to try this... played my 200 ring games first, and only had $16 left in my account). I finished 6th in 1, and 8th in the other, losing both after getting my money in with best hand...... that's life, I guess..... Lost $12.

PARADISE: 4 $5+$1 SNGs(I only had about $20 in there, so I figured I'd rather play 3 tournies at $5 than 1 at $10 and 1 at $5). Finished: 3, 2, 1, 4.... not too bad there. I came out ahead on Paradise $26.

ROYAL VEGAS: 2 $5+$.50 SNGs - Tied for 3rd in 1(I had more chips than other player, but still had to split the $10), and finished 2nd in the other. I can live with that. Came out ahead $9 on RV.

Total stats:

IN THE MONEY: 5/8 for 62.5%
WINNINGS: $23, or $2.88 per tourney(that sounds just piddly)
1st: 1 (12.5%)
2nd: 2 (25%)
3rd: 2 (25%)
4th-8th: 3 (37.5%)

On Paradise, I got my money in when chip leader HU in 1 of the SNGs with A10s vs. KJo, and lost when a king came on the river... that hurt a little... I couldn't recover from that, and finished disappointing 2nd, but that's poker!

'Mez

eastbay
05-28-2004, 01:35 AM
Play at least 150, then come back if you want feedback on results.

eastbay

Lori
05-28-2004, 01:36 AM
On Paradise, I got my money in when chip leader HU in 1 of the SNGs with A10s vs. KJo, and lost when a king came on the river... that hurt a little... I couldn't recover from that, and finished disappointing 2nd, but that's poker!

I find it helps to think of top card/bottom card vs two middle cards as virtual coin tosses.

Lori

Jason Strasser
05-28-2004, 01:37 AM
Dude, this is silly. What kind of reply are you looking for?

Lori
05-28-2004, 01:38 AM

and you call ME harsh?

The guy is new to the format and is having a toot, this is fine and it's good to see one of the good guys running well.

Keep it up 'mez.... you got at least one person rooting for ya.

Lori

Lori
05-28-2004, 01:39 AM
Dude, this is silly. What kind of reply are you looking for?

How about 'Good for you, keep it up' or is that too hard for the geniuses in here who forget their roots?

Lori

Jason Strasser
05-28-2004, 01:42 AM
Hi Lori,

Maybe I just saw the volume of posts he had and wrongfully assumed a level of experience at sit and gos. I don't forget my roots ever, I just didn't see how he could expect us to respond with constructive advice to a post like that. It's like saying, "I bet on the roulette wheel in vegas and lost on red ten times in a row!"

Sorry for sounding harsh. I don't forget my roots, and I'm definately not a genius. I just think his post is borderline pointless.

Gomez22
05-28-2004, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for sounding harsh. I don't forget my roots, and I'm definately not a genius. I just think his post is borderline pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing personal, but if you find it pointless... there's an easy answer.... DON'T REPLY.

I started in limit games, and switched to NL ring games a few months ago. I've been a winner at both, although maybe not as good as others, I enjoy poker. There have been many posters here that encouraged me when I started, and a couple (MG in NJ & Bunky9590 & Lori & Gift Of Gab & Richie Rich & AceKQJT, just to name a few) that have gone above and beyond to help me with my game and make me feel at home here.

I'm not saying that everyone has to be this way, but do you remember when you started playing poker??? You may be 20 times better than me, and an extremely consistant winner, but I'll bet you didn't get there by yourself.

First, I found limit, and that excited me...

Then I found NL, and I love it...

Next are the tournies, and granted, even though some of my posts may be redundant to more experienced players, I was excited that I played a "new form" of poker and had success with it(thanks to AM's "How to beat Party 10+1 SNG's)...

Forgive me for being excited about some success I've had, however small and pity it may be in your eyes....

And guess what???

YOUR opinion isn't the one that matters to me, and you don't own the forums, so go play troll on someone else...

'Mez

PS - I have 1420 posts because I've asked a HELLUVA lot of questions here... .not that I give advice that much. I WANT to know alot about poker. Just because a pile of shite looks like a rose doesn't mean it smells like one

Jason Strasser
05-28-2004, 02:26 AM
Gomez,

I apologize. I should've been more constructive in my response.

Gomez22
05-28-2004, 02:36 AM
No problem... maybe sometimes I shouldn't get so hyped about something that I know in 2 months will think is pretty blase, but I get caught up in a moment too often(I think that is somewhat of a leak in my play, as well), and I like to post progress-type things of this like.

SNG's are relatively new to me, and I'm not what you would call the "sharpest knife in the drawer" when it comes to alot of the poker stuff.... I look at progress in poker like a bunch of stairs... very steep stairs - you take a step up, and then, you can't get to the next one for a while because it's too far up there...

With me playing SNG's and having some small success, I feel that in someway, it's improved my game (I've played more HU today than I ever have, and I got some experience in "chip management", so to speak).

Whenever I feel that my game has improved, I strongly desire feedback on it, as I want to confirm that some type of progress is made.... maybe I should clarify a little more when I post hands.

Anyways, I deeply appreciate your apology(it takes somewhat more of a man than people realize to put those types of words out on a public forum, so I admire you for that alone), and like I said.... it was nothing personal, my reply..... I just wanted it to be known where I'm coming from.

Play well,

'Mez

eastbay
05-28-2004, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and you call ME harsh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yeah.

I think if you put this post side-by-side your temper tantrum, you or anybody with eyes would see why.

My reply is matter of fact, and provides important information to a new guy all the same. It does not berate him, call him a moron, or put him down. See the difference?

eastbay

Lori
05-28-2004, 03:22 AM
See the difference?

My post informed newbies to beware of some of the people in this forum with big ego's but no talent, yours informed the newbie he isn't wanted.

Mine was also a strategy post that you didn't understand and with your lack of desire to learn, probably never will.

If you think nothing can be inferred from a tiny sample, you are wrong, you can work out already that Gomez has every shot at being a winning player and certainly isn't going bust in these games in a hurry.

For accurate data, sure he needs more sample size, but for SOME idea of what is going on, he doesn't.

He merely wanted to tell us about his exciting new discovery and you try to put him down.

6-18 pro's like yourself need to work to survive, putting down new players is not a good way to go about this.

Lori

eastbay
05-28-2004, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
See the difference?

For accurate data, sure he needs more sample size, but for SOME idea of what is going on, he doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a new guy especially needs a bigger sample to infer anything meaningful.

[ QUOTE ]

He merely wanted to tell us about his exciting new discovery and you try to put him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did no such thing. I simply gave him a target number that would help him get the feedback he's looking for. And it would.

[ QUOTE ]

6-18 pro's like yourself need to work to survive, putting down new players is not a good way to go about this.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't find this statement clear at all, but it's certainly predicated on a falsehood. I didn't put him down.

eastbay

Lori
05-28-2004, 03:32 AM
I think a new guy especially needs a bigger sample to infer anything meaningful.

Where did he ask you to infer anything at all?

Lori

eastbay
05-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Re-read my post. It includes the word "if", because he did not explicitly state that he wanted feedback on his results, but that is an obvious interpretation of the intent behind posting it on an internet forum.

But I think you just like to argue, so I'll stop here.

eastbay

Prickly Pete
05-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Where is the aforementioned "temper tantrum"? I missed it. And I always like reading posts where Lori(nda) gets saucy.

jedi
05-28-2004, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
losing both after getting my money in with best hand...... that's life, I guess.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you got all the chips in the middle with the best hand doesn't necessarily mean you played the hand correctly. If I have 22 and I get all the chips in the middle vs. AK and JT, it might not be the best move depending on how the blinds are relative to stack size, where the bubble is, and how others are playing.

Not to say that you didn't do the right thing when you did it, but there are more considerations than just putting all the chips in the middle with the best hand.

La Brujita
05-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Nice job on your good start. You can put me in the medium ego little talent category. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif I love "saucy Lorinda" posts.

A couple of comments:

1. Don't play 5+1's at PP since the vig is too high. I believe Stars has 5+.5

2. Lorinda made an excellent point about middle cards vs. an over and under. It is one of the reasons a hand like A-3o is not as good as one might think.

3. I saw your post in the Books forum, I didn't lead you astray with Improve Your Poker. It is a fantastic book and I believe Mason rated it a 9 or 10.