PDA

View Full Version : Running the big bluff (from super genius tourney)

bunky9590
05-27-2004, 08:49 PM
I wound up finishing 4th in the tourney despite the fact I never saw a pair above 77 and only held AK and AQ once. So, alot of the money I got and was able to survive on were on sheer testoterone induced bluffs.

This hand somewhat early on. Blinds 100-200 (Hero has 11k)
Villian has 6500. This table was FULL of star players definitely capable and using third level thinking.

UTG (villian) limps in Ep for 200 Bunky raises in the CO to 800 with 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif Called only by the villian. 1900 in pot.

Flop comes A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Villian min bets 200, Bunky pauses..... and raises to 1500.

Villian thinks and folds.

Now this was my thought process. I couldn't let the money in the pot go to a min bet. It looked like a feeler bet. Darn it, I represented AK when I raised, I'm gonna do it again. Thats why I popped the flop. Only to see it get pushed my way.

All in all a pretty amazing well played tourney on my part.

I only showed down 1 hand the whole night, the one I lost. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif short stacked vs. K /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

bunky9590
05-28-2004, 01:08 AM
I liked this play against a thinking player, but against a fish it would never work, They would call me down with A3o.

Was the logic sound?

Gomez22
05-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Even though I don't have that much experience, I'm finding more and more that those min-bets signal weakness....

I've stolen quite a few pots over the last few days by raising a min-bettor(OK - Maybe I haven't actually stolen ALL of them, but I'll bet I've stolen a good bit).

I would guess that in between ring games and tournies, min-bets actually signal strength maybe 10-20% of the time.

Take it for what it's worth(from me, maybe not much!!!)

'Mez

PS - I like the play... If he calls, you can fold on the turn if he bets, or get a freebie if you like.... or you can fire that 2nd bullet if you have brass ones.... real easy situation to get away from, in my book.

Nero
05-28-2004, 01:15 AM
against a thinking player i like calling and popping the turn on this board. there are no draws and its unlikely you would play AK this way. its still a tough bet to call, but i think you would better accomplish getting an A or K to fold if you pop the turn.

bunky9590
05-28-2004, 01:20 AM
I tend to pull that steal the turn play a little much, so I vary it with the flop raise and/or check raise on occassion.

Nero
05-28-2004, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I tend to pull that steal the turn play a little much, so I vary it with the flop raise and/or check raise on occassion.

[/ QUOTE ]

noted. the flop raise in this spot feels like you trying to move your opponent off. i would put you on AQ at best and if i thought you were capable of folding it play back at you. if the board was draw heavy i like the flop raise.

a question:
what is your standard line w/AK in this spot?

bunky9590
05-28-2004, 01:50 AM
I eally do a good job of mixing it up. With position I'll raise about half the time and do the turn pop the other half. Makes it hard to put me on a hand. Out of position I'll lead most of the time into the raiser in hopes of getting all in on the flop

Tosh
05-28-2004, 05:42 AM
Against a so called thinking player I question his minimum bet.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-29-2004, 10:47 AM
I think the min bet was suspect too. However, if the min bettor had reraised big after Bunky's bluff raise, Bunky would have known he was be-screwed.

al

Nepa
05-29-2004, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian min bets 200, Bunky pauses..... and raises to 1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do min bet with a monster from time to time, just because i know some players will sense weakness.