PDA

View Full Version : Is this the way to play KK??

Imperial
05-27-2004, 08:16 PM
NLHE 200

I have about 200$ and my opponent in this han has 220$

Preflop:

I'm in the BB and five players call the blind (2$) when its up to me, I raise to 20$. SB calls everyone else fold. I have no read on SB.

Flopp: 8 9 J (suits not important)

he checks and I bet the pot(about 50$), he goes all in, I call. He turns over JJ and I dont get any help.

Questions:

1. Is this a good way to play AA/KK??
2. Do you ever get away from AA/KK, heads up, when you have 10xBB in pre flopp??
3. Was he right in making that call with JJ pre flopp??

BlueBear
05-27-2004, 08:48 PM
In my much flawed opinion:

1. Outbetting/betting out the pot here is fine so long you'll bet the same amount with lesser hands (QQ, AKs). By consistently raising the same amount, you can disguise your preflop holding.

2. The fact that 10xBB has been already invested preflop is irrelevant. In other words, don't let the 10xBB you bet preflop make yourself pot-committed into the hand. Afterall, 10xBB is only 10% of your stack and you wouldn't want to chase the rest of your 90% to get the 10%. Your stacks are still deep when your opponent goes all-in, and barring any unusual reads of the opponent, this is an easy fold.

3. If JJ can place you on a big pair and knows you will most probably go all the way to the river with it, JJ is basically playing for a set and yes, the JJ is **marginally** getting the required implied odds to hit the set. (I would fold but I am not saying that the JJ player played his/her hand disastrously wrong).

It's important in NL play to know when to lay down these big pocket pairs.

Prevaricator
05-27-2004, 10:45 PM
If you make this preflop raise with AA then you must do it with AK as well. Cold calling a 10xbb raise with JJ in the sb is a bad play if he doesn't know whether or not you have the big pair (and will thus pay off a set). You can also get away from AA if you know he won't make that play with just an overpair, only with a set. Since you don't have a read, you'll probably end up calling with AA and folding with AK.