PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone going to watch the stars wsop final table simulcast tomorrow

PITTM
05-27-2004, 04:49 PM
it sounds interesting, but has the potential to be very slow and boring.

rj

shandrakor
05-27-2004, 05:02 PM
I totally would, if I just didn't have to work.

Fraubump
05-27-2004, 05:08 PM
No one. Not one single person.

Lori
05-27-2004, 05:12 PM
I will be watching it all, if anyone is interested I'd be willing to attempt to give a commentary on here with an attempt at analysis on what I think is going on.

Lori

La Brujita
05-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Lori,

Should we try to set up a chat room somewhere to discuss hands? I have never done that before but would be happy to do it if instructed.

Lori
05-27-2004, 05:17 PM
I have no idea how to go about that, but it would be a good plan if someone could explain very clearly how to do it (as opposed to the 2+2 chatroom which I got as far as getting to the site and was overwhelmed with gibberish)

Lori

jasonHoldEm
05-27-2004, 05:43 PM
I plan to watch it...if greg makes the final table I will definately be watching. Would love to have a chatroom for 2+2'rs to discuss what's going on (I won't have a clue but would like to listen). If not a thread here would be interesting as well, but not as practical.

J

Jim Easton
05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
I'll be watching it. We should be able to set up a room in AIM or MSN.

MicroBob
05-27-2004, 07:13 PM
a weird alternative might for 2 of us to sit-out at a micro head-to-head table and the rest of us can observe that one and just use the chat-box.

Lori
05-27-2004, 07:17 PM
I like this plan.

Lori

AZK
05-27-2004, 07:24 PM
How about discussing it on IRC in the 2+2 channel that already exists...that would probably be the easiest way, no?

Lori
05-27-2004, 07:33 PM
How about discussing it on IRC in the 2+2 channel that already exists...that would probably be the easiest way, no?

No.

As I already said,or at least implied, I'm not good enough at using computers to work out that sort of crap.
I followed the instructions and ended up with nothing so there's no way I'm going there.

Lori

William
05-27-2004, 07:39 PM
The easiest is if everyone downloads the software from MSN messanger.We can all meet there.

Everybody just has to post the e-mail adress they have used to download MSN in this thread.

William

shandrakor
05-27-2004, 07:40 PM
How do you set up a "chat room" in MSN messenger? I know how to talk to a single person, but not a group...

William
05-27-2004, 07:56 PM
There is a feature called conference or netmeeting or something like that. I have never used it either, but I am quite certain that it is easy. You probably just have to follow the instructions online.

shandrakor
05-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Care to find a link to these simple instructions?

William
05-27-2004, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Care to find a link to these simple instructions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't used MSN for months, there was a new version to download and now the damn thing won't open. When I click on the icon I get a "wrong parameter" message. I will try to fix it and explain how to do it later, if I can sort it out.

eMarkM
05-27-2004, 08:40 PM
They did this for their Carribean cruise final table. They had some trouble with communications for that one, but when it was working it went pretty smoothly. They collect the hands in batches and then report them all pretty continously. Then there'd be a ten minute delay while they loaded the next batch. Of course, you can't see their hands, but I still found it pretty compelling.

William
05-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Ok, as I understand, first you have to register everyone as "contacts", then you have to find the funktion "net meeting" somewhere on the toolbar, mine is in danish, but there are only 5 of them, so it's not that difficult.
Then you click on it and all your contacts appear and you have to click on the ones you want to chat with.

It is too complicated if you have to accept hundreds of new contacts. There was also a chat room earlier, but it seems it has been closed, at least in the danish version, because of spam abuse.

So if anybody has a better idea, let's hear it.

William

NoChance
05-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I'll be watching also. I like the plan to open a table and chat there.

La Brujita
05-27-2004, 09:10 PM
I wish I had a solution (I don't) but the big problem I see with using a stars table is the chat scrolls very quickly (meaning limited space for chat) and i am not sure it will work well for a group chat.

Regards

shandrakor
05-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Well, I just checked both my Windows Messenger and my MSN Messenger, and neither one has a "netmeeting" option.

I found an option for "join MSN chat rooms" but that one wanted 20 bucks a month.

Gomez22
05-27-2004, 09:19 PM
We could open a table at either Royal Vegas/Gaming Club(a 1 on 1 table would be fine)... they have chat windows available that span the entire side of the table....

Or what about UB... don't they have some new type of external chat window feature???

csuf_gambler
05-27-2004, 09:27 PM
how does this thing work on pokerstars?

shandrakor
05-27-2004, 09:32 PM
The IRC room is one that I can handle, but I don't want to cut out people like Lori.

Just out of curiousity, how many people out there actually are familiar with IRC and know how to join up with an IRC chat room?

Mike Haven
05-27-2004, 10:02 PM
here's an incredibly simple to use chatroom we could commandeer

go to http://chat.lezlisoft.com/chat/index.shtml and click on "General Chat"

that opens a chatroom

type your session name in the box - coded with 2/2 - so my name would be mikeh2/2

that's it - you are chatting

ignore other ordinary users by clicking their names and "Ignore"

anyone about to test it out now? i'm there at this moment

La Brujita
05-27-2004, 10:06 PM
Nice find Mike. I tested it out and it worked fine. The only problem is you can't set up a private room, but I have not idea if that is a big deal or not.

Mike Haven
05-27-2004, 10:11 PM
i have "ignored" everybody so i can't see their chat - so that would help our users - we'd see only each other's chat - and you can all ignore me there, too

Mike Haven
05-27-2004, 10:17 PM
as people come into the room you need to click name/Ignore - the only downside i see so far is that there could be a lot using it on a friday

i would suggest if we use it not to tell others we are ignoring them because they could go out and come back in, time and again, to cause hassle to us, i suspect

eMarkM
05-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Go to WPT sats, Golden Nugget Championship. The seats are all Seat1, Seat2, but Greg would be the big stack and they appear to be real hands. But it's only a test for tomorrow and the hands appear a bit dated.

B Dids
05-27-2004, 10:37 PM
You don't use netmeeting with MS Messenger. You just open a conversation and keep inviting people to it.

Mike Haven
05-27-2004, 10:56 PM
a whole bunch of people came in to the chatroom and we had a dummy run

it is SO easy to use

Room 4 seems to be good (click Rooms)

the chatroom can be "floated" about your screen to where you want it positioned - you can minimise or maximise it when it is in float mode (click top left)

we tested it up to about 20 people and it appears each room will keep expanding to take even more than that

try it out now to get used to it - if there are any problems we should try to find them before the game starts

Jurollo
05-27-2004, 11:23 PM
AOL instant messanger would be another good option, where I believe a private chat room could be set up.

Poker Jet
05-28-2004, 12:45 AM
I plan on having two poker clients on tomorrow, Stars and Gutshot's (24h software) as both are going to stream the final table...

Jim Kuhn
05-28-2004, 12:56 AM
Can someone please bump this thread about 4:00 p.m. cst tomorrow so I can join all of my 2+2 compadres and watch Greg bring home the $5 million. This is awesome having a fellow 2+2er doing so well! I think some Zoo sweat is just what Greg needs to finish them off!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

pretender2k
05-28-2004, 02:04 AM
I emailed Stars and asked if they could put out the hand history of the event because I have to work. They said they were looking into it. They have to make sure there are no technical or legal probs with it. I would love to be able to download it and play it back in PT while I am playing so I can see every aspect of it.

Army Eye
05-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Anybody who would want to have a big chat session like this, in a Pokerstars chat window which is the size of a pinhole, is just a sick puppy!

jdl22
05-28-2004, 03:22 AM
IRC isn't so bad. Let me give you the steps assuming you have a PC if you have a MAC you need a different program which I will try to find if necesary. I've uninstalled the program so that I can go through each step:

1. follow this link (http://www.mirc.com/get.html) and click on any of the several links to download the program that you will see in the middle of the screen below this:
[ QUOTE ]
mIRC 6.14, for Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP, NT etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can click one corresponding to your region but it isn't so important.

2. Your internet browser should popup asking if you want to download the file. Click open or save as. If you click save as remember where you saved it and after it is finished downloading double click the file to open it. If you have a fast connection this should only take a minute or less.

3. When the installer pops up press next, then yes to the agreement, on the next window click install. This should take just a few seconds and you will get a window popping up that says the installation was successful. On this window click the box next to Launch mIRC then click finish.

4. The program will open and tell you it is only a 30 day trial. Don't believe this because it's not true. Click continue and proceed.

5. A window should popup that says mIRC options at the top. Type your name and email (you don't have to be honest) as well as your nickname (most people use the nick from here but not all) as well as an alternative nick (you can easily add a number or something to your nick).

6. You need to get to the server window. On the left of this window you should see Connect on the top line followed by Servers then Options. Click on Servers. You should now see IRC networks and a pulldown menu that says All. Click that and scroll down until you find EFnet. Click the "Connect to Server" button near the bottom.

7. If all goes well you should connect to a server and see lots of text scrolling up and then a window will popup that says mIRC Favorites.

8. I personally don't like this favorites screen but it's there so somebody must. There are two ways to connect to the two relevant rooms. The first uses this favorites screen. In the field in the top where it says "Enter a channel name and click join" type "#twoplustwo" the pound sign is very important, type the name exactly as I've typed it here and click the join button. Otherwise you can click ok and then in the main window type "/join #twoplustwo" to access the channel the second way.

9. Chat away and cheer on Fossilman.

It would be great to get some fresh blood into the chat room. It's pretty much the same group as of now. Lori you would like it because most of us on there play NL or PL.

scrub
05-28-2004, 05:19 AM
My friends and I ponied up and paid Becky for the stream last year.

It was downright unwatchable--we ended up getting sick of it and going to the Trop.

That being said, I'll probably get drunk and watch it during reunions festivities...

Go Greg!

scrub

Ro-me-ro
05-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi Lori,

If you want some Technical assistance setting up IRC I will pop round and set it up on your computer... it is straightforward once you know how... IRC really is the best way to have a group convo.

I will also join the 2+2 room as HostEllis aslong as you promise not to inundate me with work related requests!

Regards,

Ellis

MicroBob
05-28-2004, 10:00 AM
i'm with lori on this one.....i don't particularly feel like trying to set up or download something else that i MAY or MAY NOT be able to do anyway.

anything that takes more than 7 steps to explain is beyond my tolerance capacity.

Mike's idea, for example, seems to me to be potentially problematic with the whole ignore-the-others feature constantly being implemented.

i know the stars chat-window is small.....but i still like this idea may be okay and i would be willing to meet a few other 2+2'ers there if we want to do it that way.

i wouldnt want any of the chatters typing more than 1-line of text in chat anyway.

but i do see the potential problems involved with the stars chat-window....so if it is necessary to try to download something i will do that.

however, right now we seem to be getting nowhere fast.

a lot of people are tossing out various suggestions..etc etc but we aren't even close to a consensus on this.

we need to somehow finalize what method we might use...perhaps putting it to a vote or something (poll??)

maybe the options should include
- Stars window (or perhaps even more than 1)
- IRC (and whatever other client you guys are tossing out there...sorry, i skimmed past most of the stuff where i had no idea what you were talking about).
- AOL/AIM chat-room (aren't these relatively easy to download??....since i'm on AOL i have no objection to this method).
- combo of stars table-chat AND something else....to each their own....if you have difficulty setting up whatever chat-thing is most recommended then some of us meet up on a stars-table and see if that works okay.

personally...i think Lori's opinions are valuable enough to warrant giving her her own stars table where none of us are allowed to cat and she can just rattle off her own opinions and observations on what is happening.

then...maybe the rest of us can get a different table where we all comment on what Lori has observed!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

La Brujita
05-28-2004, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
personally...i think Lori's opinions are valuable enough to warrant giving her her own stars table where none of us are allowed to cat and she can just rattle off her own opinions and observations on what is happening.

then...maybe the rest of us can get a different table where we all comment on what Lori has observ

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect to Lori (and I am a big fan of hers) let's be a little bit egalitarian and have anyone chat for as long as they want. If it is two lines so be it. The main purpose of the chat (in my mind) is to have some fun and sweat Greg and the others a bit.

Let's use a free chat, Mike's seemed fine, if anyone else has a better one we can use that. I have too much of a hangover to try to read the instructions for downloading the other thing.

GrannyMae
05-28-2004, 10:23 AM
aslong as you promise not to inundate me with work related requests!

can i whine about asbestos poisoning and stress star smuggling ops?

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/u/cop.gif

GrannyMae
05-28-2004, 10:27 AM
i thought you sent me an invitation to chat for the para promos. maybe it was shauna.

anyway, i got an email that said "you have been invited to chat in (someone's) yahoo chat room. click here to be brought there."

now THAT was for dummies like me and lori. if anyone sets one up, please send me an invitation to pokergrannymae@aol.com

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/j0/type.gif

MicroBob
05-28-2004, 10:30 AM
i was (kind of) kidding with that suggestion.

i have every confidence in my fellow 2+2'ers to decide on our preferred method in time to use it for the big final-table.

oh yeah....Go Greg!!

NoChance
05-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Mike's link to that chatroom was perfect. No downloads. Very easy to use. Perfect.

Poker Jet
05-28-2004, 11:18 AM
I will be doing an AOL AIM chat session for the WSOP just before start time.... if u want in, either AIM me (esportsdesign) or PM me here

Mike Haven
05-28-2004, 12:05 PM
you don't have to ignore anyone, but you do have that ignore option if you want to use it - you will only be reading the comments of and responding to those you want to in any case - as long as they are coded with 2/2 at the end of their names, it's simple to see the home team - and it's quite likely with Room 4 that there will only be twoplustwoers there

try it - it's as easy as visiting any ordinary webpage

here are the relevant points again:

here's an incredibly simple to use chatroom we could commandeer

go to http://chat.lezlisoft.com/chat/index.shtml and click on "General Chat"

that opens a chatroom

type your session name in the box - coded with 2/2 - so my name would be mikeh2/2

that's it - you are chatting

a whole bunch of people came in to the chatroom and we had a dummy run

it is SO easy to use

Room 4 seems to be good (click Rooms)

the chatroom can be "floated" about your screen to where you want it positioned - you can minimise or maximise it when it is in float mode (click top left)

we tested it up to about 20 people and it appears each room will keep expanding to take even more than that

try it out now to get used to it

MicroBob
05-28-2004, 12:29 PM
okay...well Mike seems to have confidence in it.

i nominate his link as the official-but-not-really-official home of the WSOP-Zoo-chat this afternoon.
anyone second??

hopefully will see everyone there.

Myrtle
05-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I did the test run on Mike's with him and a few others last night...it's so simple that even Granny can prolly figure it out......

Be there....or be square!!!

p.s. Thomas...leave your freaking menagerie at home!!!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wayabvpar
05-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Mike's chatroom is pretty damned easy to use...I vote for it. I will be stuck at work for the first 4 hours of play, so I need someone to hook me up with some hand descriptions as it is going on /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigBluffer
05-28-2004, 01:35 PM
I just checked out the site Mike mentioned. The system is incredibly easy to use. I like the idea of using Room #4. Chatted briefly with another 2+2'er. Looks like there will be a few of us there at 4pm edt. Thanks for the link Mike.

http://chat.lezlisoft.com/chat/index.shtml

Sign in with 2/2 at the end of your name.

Go to Room #4

That's all there is to it!

BigBluffer
05-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Stars has the final table up now but chat is disabled.

shandrakor
05-28-2004, 02:21 PM
I'll be in-and-out of Mike's chat room today. Stupid having to go to work...well, maybe they'll let me go home early if I explain politely that there's a really important poker game that I need to chat mindlessly with people about today /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GrannyMae
05-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Stars has the final table up now but chat is disabled

where is this table and what is it called? i can't find it.

i just saw that stars has 4 there and greg has 8mil+. the fact that they have 4 at this table is gonna be great for online poker and will create a pokerstars sub-story.

paradise had a player that was doing well and may be there too. as a matter of fact, other than harrington, they may have ALL qualified online. THAT would be *huge* story.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/ole.gif

Lori
05-28-2004, 02:38 PM
I like Mike's place.

Everyone's opinions are valid, and we are an opinionated lot /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lori

BigBluffer
05-28-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where is this table and what is it called? i can't find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

WPT/WSOP Tab
WPT FPP Sats under-tab
WSOP 2004 Final Table Broadcast

There are 3 of them up there right now.

If anyone has a $50 bet on the Field at BoDogs at even money, you can lock in a win now. Pinnacle is offering +600 on Harrington to win.

NoChance
05-28-2004, 03:43 PM
^

Mike Haven
05-28-2004, 04:20 PM
What does a/s/l mean from "Flicka_Lips"?

Which one of you guys IS Flicka_Lips?

05-28-2004, 04:34 PM
A: age
S: sex
L: location