PDA

View Full Version : Trapping

spacemonkey57
05-27-2004, 02:10 PM
How well or poorly did I play this hand? The results were fine, but I'm wondering how I played it. All comments appreciated.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t40 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t665)
SB (t1200)
BB (t330)
UTG (t1510)
Hero (t1205)
MP1 (t975)
MP2 (t3015)
CO (t1100)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t40, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t180</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t160, BB folds, UTG calls t140.

AQo is always a tricky hand for me. Typically I'll bet the pot first or second in. I usually fold on the flop if it doesn't hit me.

Flop: (t580) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t140</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls t140.

Well I guess you could say I caught a piece of that flop. I assume nobody would have raised this flop.

Turn: (t860) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t400</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, SB calls t200.

I wasn't letting this one get checked through but I didn't want to drive him out, so I bet about 1/4 of the pot. I'm not scared of AK without a pf raise or a bigger flop raise. Should I have put him all in here?

River: (t2060) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t285 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t280 (All-In).

Flop plays itself. I'm just glad he called.

Final Pot: t2625
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t2620 (t2620), between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t2620).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: t5 (t5), overbet by Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Qd Jd (two pair, aces and queens).
Hero shows Qc Ah (full house, aces full of queens).
Outcome: Hero wins t2625. </font>

sabre170
05-27-2004, 02:26 PM
What about your play are you wondering about?
This is a hard flop to bungle, and you didn't bungle it.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Immediately forget this hand. AQo is not a hand you want to play in EP with an UTG limper in NL.

spacemonkey57
05-27-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about your play are you wondering about?
This is a hard flop to bungle, and you didn't bungle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly whether or not to put him all in on the turn. I guess it probably didn't make a huge difference for an extra 280.

FloppedFlush
05-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Here's my thoughts for what they're worth.

On the flop - I agree, just call. Unless I'm missing something, AK would be drawing to 3 outs, a pocket pair would be drawing to runner-runner quads and any other hand would be drawing dead. So the only question is how to get the most money in the pot. Raising here can't be the answer.

On the turn - of course the only reasonable draw which could make your hand a loser hits, but like you said, I still wouldn't be worried about it. I think either checking behind or making a small bet are both reasonable plays. If you've played with this opponent before, then you want to do something that's in character. Are you one to fire a second bullet at the pot after a preflop raise and a flop bet get called? If so, then go ahead and make the small bet. If you would normally check behind if you missed the flop or have a marginal holding, then do the same thing here.

After you make the small bet on the turn and he makes a minimum raise, my first reaction was to say to just call the raise. But as I was typing, I think I changed my mind. If his raise was thrown in just to test you to see whether you had an ace, then I don't see him putting any more money into this hand regardless of whether you call or raise and regardless of what may fall on the river. If he's raising with what he thinks is the best hand, then he's probably going to call your all-in bet whether it's made on the turn or on the river so it makes no difference when you make the bet.

On the other hand, If he's raising because he picked up a flush draw or a straight draw, then you could call and hope that the draw hits on the river in which case he would be certain to put it all in. However, the draw will miss more often than it hits, and after his raise, he appears to be pot committed, even if he is on a draw, so unless he was on a bluff, I'd expect him to call an all-in bet here.

This is the scenario that changed my mind from wanting to call the turn raise to wanting to re-raise. If he has a made hand or is on a bluff, it won't change the result when you push all-in. But if he's on a draw, you want to get him to put the money in on the turn instead of giving him a chance to get away after the draw misses on the river. If you feel he's pot committed, then re-raise all-in on the turn. If you don't feel he's pot committed, the make the smaller re-raise like you did.

Nak
05-28-2004, 02:25 AM
Yes, I would dump it, but I am new to SNG's.

Nak