PDA

View Full Version : My final comments to "Position is Overrated"

jwg152
05-27-2004, 01:53 PM
I want to make several comments to conclude this topic, they are as follows:

1. My intention in this post was to stimulate discussion not provide definitive answers to this most important aspect of holdem, limit and NL. When I used the word "position," I was referring to late position or having later position than your opponent(s) in the hand. That might have caused some confusion among the responders, and for that I apologize.

2. There is no question that position is critical during the pre-flop stage of holdem when considering how and when to play certain hands. In order to get the discussion off the ground I used the "monster limp trap" scenario as a method of exploitation. I regret using that example since the major thrust of my thinking about the relative strength of late position in holdem was with respect to the flop and beyond.

3. Since Poker is game of partial information, there is no question that acting later or last is an advantage. However, that advantage is subject to the element of deception which is fundamental to poker. If players lacked the capacity to deceive, then position would be supreme. As that is not the case in holdem or any form of poker, the value of late position has relative strength. The motivation of this post was simply a desire to debate and receive comments on that relative strength.

4. Yes, my treatise on the post-modern relative consequences of out-of-position pre-flop raising will be in bookstores June 2005. /images/graemlins/smile.gif