PDA

View Full Version : The Most Comprehensive Holdem Book Ever Written?

PDosterM
05-27-2004, 01:01 PM
My wife doesn’t play poker, so I consider myself quite fortunate that she understands why I do. She also supports the time I spend getting better at the game by studying, discussing, watching and practicing.

She was recently in California visiting a friend when she came upon a book she was pretty sure wasn’t in my poker library and, bless her heart, she bought it for me. The book is Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold ‘em.

And an impressive book it appears to be – thick and heavy with 416 pages devoted to the single topic of Texas Holdem. Emblazoned right on the front cover are the words, “The Most Comprehensive Book Ever Written on Hold ‘em.” Surely this is a scholarly treatise of the first order.

Maybe not. The first thing you notice when you flip through the text is that there are, on average, three blank pages between each of the 34 chapters. That’s about 100 pages – a quarter of the book – with absolutely nothing written on them. The writing itself still takes up 300 pages but it’s not because the author has that much to say; rather it’s the publisher’s use of large print and super-sized margins that is to blame. Fully five pages of this book’s text will fit onto two pages if a reasonably sized font were used. Then there are these strange repetitive sections that can only be there to take up space. Warren spends eight pages (pp. 258-265) laying out an exhaustive table in order to demonstrate that a pocket pair is a about a 4-1 dog against a higher pocket pair. Earlier (p. 238) he uses a full page to show that there are 45 ways to take 10 things two at a time. (Why not simply point out that 10!/(8!2!) = 45?).

If it weren’t for these tricks, the book would be a seventy-page pamphlet. One can still get much useful information into 75 pages, but alas, that is not the case here. The book is filled with errors of both fact and judgment. Inexplicably, he states (p. 73), “If you have absolutely no information about a player’s hand, you know that odds are sixteen to six (or eight to three) that he does not hold a pocket pair.” Even the most casual observer of the games knows the correct answer is 16-1. What makes this error so bizarre is that he does the correct calculations (in a different context) a few paragraphs earlier.

Warren correctly points out that the most effective style is tight-aggressive. This must be a hitherto unknown use of the word, aggressive, because on page 111 he advocates meekly calling pre-flop with a pocket kings behind several limpers. He then states unequivocally (pp. 115-117) that limping with AKo and AQo is correct. When I get these hands, particularly in late position, my heart rate rises as I fling a raise or a re-raise towards the middle of the table.

In his section on tells, he claims when a player reaches for his chips prior to you making your bet, that the player has a good hand and will call (p. 198). My experience is just the opposite; not only does the player not want you to bet, but he will likely fold if you do.

The only way this book can be deemed comprehensive would be based on the number of topics. But the shallowness in which they are covered guarantees the book contains new information to only the most rank of beginners. I can think of no reason to buy this book unless your plan is to accidentally leave it behind in your local cardroom in the hopes one of your opponents will take it home and read it. Otherwise, save your money and use it to raise next time you have pocket kings on the button.

Kenshin
05-27-2004, 01:15 PM
An excellent review, probably better suited for eh books/software forum!

Kenshin
(keep reviewing books, you have talent)

deacsoft
05-27-2004, 02:21 PM
I am on a mission to read and understand every worth while hold'em book written. From what I have heard earlier and from what you have just written I will skip any book that has Ken Warren's name anywhere near it. (and I read Hellmuth's book so this is saying a lot) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the review. I bought this book a while ago before I knew any better and am equally unimpressed.

Patrick

dlebowski
05-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Ditto on your book review. Saved me from buying it. I am currently rereading Sklansky's "Hold'em Poker" after having reread Jone's "WLLH." My next two will be TOP and HEPAP. Thanks, Lebowski

Ed Miller
05-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Warren correctly points out that the most effective style is tight-aggressive. This must be a hitherto unknown use of the word, aggressive...

I find this particular gripe VERY common among poker books. They tell you, sometimes repeatedly, "play tight-aggressive," as if those words alone will turn on the light bulb and suddenly have you destroying $20-$40 games. They do not give enough examples, and in the examples they do give, they have you playing like a flaccid pickle.

Even the ones that get it more or less right with preflop aggression tend to break down postflop... ESPECIALLY on the turn and river. Once the bets get big, they have you checking everything down. Drives me nuts.

Clarkmeister
05-27-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Warren correctly points out that the most effective style is tight-aggressive. This must be a hitherto unknown use of the word, aggressive...

I find this particular gripe VERY common among poker books. They tell you, sometimes repeatedly, "play tight-aggressive," as if those words alone will turn on the light bulb and suddenly have you destroying $20-$40 games. They do not give enough examples, and in the examples they do give, they have you playing like a flaccid pickle.

Even the ones that get it more or less right with preflop aggression tend to break down postflop... ESPECIALLY on the turn and river. Once the bets get big, they have you checking everything down. Drives me nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:

[ QUOTE ]
My book roolzzzzz! -Ed Miller

[/ QUOTE ]

slavic
05-27-2004, 11:05 PM
in the examples they do give, they have you playing like a flaccid pickle.

ROTFLMAO

damn how does one get diet coke out of their keyboard?

TXTiger
05-28-2004, 02:09 AM
This book is really incredibly bad. When I first started playing holdem I knew nothing of 2+2 and bought this book first. Luckily I was only playing for play money at the time. Read Mason's review for more info. I have never seen anything positive said about the book anywhere.

Joe826
05-28-2004, 02:18 AM
I agree completely. I'm anxious for your section on playing overcards to see how you tackle the subject. I'm pretty sure books like WLLH advise you to fold them if the flop doesn't hit you because they can be difficult to play, and there's no doubt a beginner could easily misplay them (although folding them on the flop if it doesn't hit can be a huge misplay in itself).