I just wanted to get a quick opinion from those who play in the those
tournaments. I find myself zoning off in the normal Stars or UB tourneys
that take over an hour to complete. I feel I place ITM more frequently in
them but are too time consuming. I have noticed that my $/hr figure is
higher in playing in the Turbo tourneys with less actual ITM finishes. I
am content with busting out and hopping into another one faster. I also
would rather surf the web and talk on AIM during tournaments instead of
getting a read on players. I feel with the turbos you play your cards
more than the other players compared to the normal Stars or UB tourneys.
I know I would be more profitable if I spent all my energy reading
everyone and playing based off that information. Basically, I am
profitable in the long, not quite as high as I could be, but I am content
with my statisitics. (Around 10-15% ROI) on 700 tourneys total.

Why I post...

I am looking for feedback on which types of tournies I should play in. I
feel the shorter and essentially more crapshoot tourneys better suit the
style and game I like to play. I typically play 3 at once so that also
contributes to the inability to read other players. Would playing at
party at the $10+1 be better for me than the $6 or $15 turbos at stars?
Since my return per tourney is lower than if I grinded out the regular
S+G's I feel I am better off playing the Stars tourneys, with the lower
rake %'age due to buyin. I have heard Party is filled with weaker
tourneys, which I assume to be true, but dont know if heading over there
is worth it rakewise. Would pokertracker be a good investment for me? I
have heard that it is a bigger tool for people who play limit and ring
games as opposed to NL + S+G.

I would like someone to assess (sp?) my situation, and offer some
suggestions on how to maximize my laziness sort to speak. =) I am not
overly concerned with profits cause I know I am profitable in the long
run, but trying to get a better idea on how to win the most money
sacrificing the amount of attention I pay to the S+G themselves.

TheGrifter
05-27-2004, 01:04 PM
I would suggest playing more tables at once. I can only fit 4 tables on my screen (and even then I can only see about half of each table) but since Stars tables pop up when it is your turn to act I am able to play 6-7 at a time. Because I start a new one immediately when I bust out it translates to about 8 played per hour.

Your low ROI does concern me however. Since you have 700 games played I will assume that this is your long term number but it should be higher. Perhaps you could post some more stats (division of 1st, 2nd, 3rd place finishes) and ITM % to see where the leak might be. If you want to make a decent amount of money at 5 dollar tables, even multitabling, your ROI should be at least double what yours is currently.

Don't take this the wrong way, there are certainly MANY players with a negative ROI who would be happy to just be winning, but I feel that you do have room for improvement.

FloppedFlush
05-27-2004, 02:25 PM
My first reaction is that the 10+1 SnGs on Party would be the best fit for what you're looking for. I haven't played too many SnGs at Party, but from what I've seen of them you should be able to get away with just playing your cards and not your opponents there better than any of the Stars SnGs, even the turbos.

Also, there's so many people paying at Party, it would be much rarer that you'd run into someone you've played before, so you wouldn't lose anything by not having any notes on their play.

Poker Tracker, even if you don't use it to keep track of other players can still tell you a lot about your own game. For its price, it's the best poker investment you can make IMO.

For me it was a revelation to find that the worst 10 hands that I'm losing the most money on are almost all suited connectors (76s, QTs, 97s, etc.). I don't know yet whether I've found a solution to playing them profitably, but at least I know what I've been doing hasn't been working, so I need to do something different. At a minimum, I could always fold them every time - then at least I wouldn't lose more on them than I do with 72o. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

B00T
05-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I have read this board for probably about 6 months, mostly just post on RGP, so my post total suggests I am a total N00B which is not the case. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I appreciate the info on party. I mostly just play the $6 turbos on stars so by moving up to the $10 ones on Party would indicate my $$ per hour would go up. My stats are just about identical for the $6 + $15 Turbos. I told you my ROI was low, and is a direct result of failing to pay attention to the tourneys. I played roughly 200 $10 S+G on UB (1 table at a time) and had closer to a 30% return, but yet still lower than my return playing 5 tourneys on average an hr on Stars. The UB ones take about an hour, and occupying my total attention.

I am sure if I didnt fight with the girlfriend on the phone and watching sports events all nite long with 10 IM's poppin up I would have a higher rate. But like I wrote a positive return with zero concentration is fine with me.

I guess since my money is still in Stars, I will try and run 5 at once for a week or so. I did d/l pokertracker but for some reason I cant import the tournament hands, only the summaries.

To Grifter, my ITM% is around 40% last time I looked. My 1st/2nd/3rds are 14%/8%/18% respectively. (I go super aggressive when it gets to the final 3.) My ROI is currently at 17% for $6 Turbos (360 tournies on record) (a bit higher ROI than I thought), and 14% at the $15 level with 140 tournies recorded. Hope that info helps in offering any more suggestions.

The RGP guys ignored my post, thanks for the responses so far. I like this place. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edit: I know my ROI is low, and its because I literally pay zero attention, but it still turns into $30-$40 a day, which I am content with. It would go up if I played closer attention. I was looking for any quick tips on how to increase return with keeping my currently lazyness level at a 10! I guess 5 tables or even 6-7 at once would raise the $$/hr??

sabre170
05-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Just curious: Why do you play?
It doesn't appear to be for fun or money, because you would pay attention.
Is it just something to pass the hours? You could try reading Virginia Woolf.

B00T
05-27-2004, 04:03 PM
I absolutely hate books first off /images/graemlins/confused.gif, I'd never read a thing unless I was being paid for it. It is actually for fun and money in some twisted way. I work full time and while doing my usual activities at home I have the computer on. Like I said I end up winning like 30 bucks a nite, so its a nice extra $200 a week or so for about 3 hrs a nite. It works out cause it doesnt really take up time cause I am doing what I want to do while I am playing. I cant play effectively due to time constraints so a half-assed effort and income is better than none I guess. I am at work now so my actual stats may be a little inaccurate, but after looking last nite when I posted on RGP, it is pretty close to that. I found my $$/hr is lower at the $15 tables, than the $6's, mainly cause those players have an obvious read on me. You cant be fancy if playing 3 at a time and paying no attention to anyone else. Still a positive number, but not maximizing my capped potential.

Grifter, is your PStars icon an eyeball? I couldnt name more than 3 people that I remember from the tournies, just some icons I see over and over again. The only thing I hate is when I am in the final 3 or so in 3 tournies at once. I feel I miss out on moving up in the money on obvious moves I just dont see. I guess that is one of the leaks you speak of.

Phil Van Sexton
05-27-2004, 04:13 PM
I play 10/1 or 20/2 at party and play a couple ring games at the same time. After a few levels, I leave 1 of the ring games. Once we get to the bubble, I'll close the other ring game and focus only on the SNG.

Most players will "change gears" at this point, so even if I paid enough attention to get a read on them....the read would be pretty useless when we get to the bubble or ITM.