PDA

View Full Version : Another National TV Bush LIE

cardcounter0
05-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Bush stood up in front of the American people, on national Television -- And LIED!!!
Just another Bush lie in a long line of lies:
~~~~
Pentagon officials were caught by surprise by President George W. Bush's announcement on Tuesday that the notorious Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad was to be torn down. "This office was not aware of any plans to raze Abu Ghraib or build another prison," a Pentagon spokesman told The New York Times.
Mr. Bush's announcement also surprised Capitol Hill, including the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Foreign Operations, which oversees reconstruction spending in Iraq.
"None of the groundwork was done for something like this to be more than a public relations announcement," said Tim Rieser, a senior Democratic aide to the subcommittee. "And now we're going to have to figure it out after the fact." White House officials, Mr. Rieser said, "routinely treat Congress as their personal A.T.M. machine."
Last fall, the administration asked Congress for $400 million to build two maximum-security prisons in Iraq, but Congress, citing what it described as excessive estimates, reduced that to $100 million for one prison, in Nasiriya.
~~~~~
Looks like Halliburton will have to wait a while before it gets the multi-million dollar prison construction contract!

Cyrus
05-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Oh. You do. (I just noticed your handle.) Sorry.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dynasty
05-28-2004, 02:36 AM
So, what's the lie? He says the prison is going to be torn down. If it is indeed going to be torn down, doesn't that mean Bush told the truth?

cardcounter0
05-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Maybe you should try reading my post.

Bush claimed the prison was going to be torn down and a new one built in his National Speech.

The Pentagon is unaware of any plans to tear down the prison. Is Rumsfield going to make a special trip over there and do it himself?

Congress (which is in charge of spending taxpayer money) has already denied the funds for building prisons in Iraq.

So unless Daddy and Friends pony up the money, I don't see how Halliburton is going to get paid to build this prison. (Can't really see Halliburton giving us a freebee -- hell they already charge us enough driving empty trucks back and forth).

Conclusion: Nobody was prepared to tear the prison down, there is no money budgeted to build a new prision - Georgie Boy was just talking out his ass when he made those statements -- ie: HE LIED!

Gamblor
05-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Nobody was prepared to tear the prison down, there is no money budgeted to build a new prision - Georgie Boy was just talking out his ass when he made those statements -- ie: HE LIED!

You're assuming that when Bush said this he was representing this as a statement of fact. It is just as likely that it might have been a promise (to the Iraqis), that he intended to drive such an action through Congress, Pentagon, etc.

cardcounter0
05-28-2004, 10:56 AM
No this wasn't a "promise" to the Iraqi people (hasn't he promised them enough?). This was his national TV speech Monday to the AMERICAN PEOPLE. It was supposed to be his laying out of his concrete plan of action of what-the-hell-are-we-doing-in-Iraq-and-where-are-we-going to the American People. It is kind of hard to "stay the course" when you don't know where you are headed. Of course, Bush can just babble incoherently there will be plenty of apologists and supporters to say "well, he probably meant this" or "I think he meant to say that" but the FACT is, it was just another wild ass statement - LIE - that he has never been held accountable for.

Gamblor
05-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Instead of griping about it on a poker forum, why don't you call up the White house and ask what the hell he meant instead of putting words into his mouth?

He's your president, you're entitled to know what he meant, but somehow I doubt he would make a false claim so easily refuted. He may be Dub, but he's not that stupid.

I don't know what he meant, he might have well been lying through his teeth.

But you don't know either.

If he said: "Plans are finished to raze Abu Ghirab prison", then yes, you would be correct.

Do you have the exact text of the speech?

cardcounter0
05-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Step 1: Deny.
Step 2: Blame Clinton.
Step 3: Claim it is all "behind us","irrelevant", and time to "move on".

elwoodblues
05-28-2004, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It was supposed to be his laying out of his concrete plan

[/ QUOTE ]

It was just his plan. Just like his plan to cut taxes was a plan (even though when he made it he didn't yet have the votes). I think it is a stupid plan, but a plan nonetheless --- not a lie in my mind.

cardcounter0
05-28-2004, 05:24 PM
A resonable explanation. One I can accept.

SO when the President comes out on TV and makes a speech, the man who was going to restore "integrity" to the White House, when he makes a statement like "Terrorists will attack America Tomorrow", I have to:

a) Consider the possiblity that, indeed, Terrorists will attack America Tomorrow.
b) Some experts suspect that Terrorists might attack America tomorrow and have told the President of their theory.
c) The President, without consulting any one, thinks that it would be a good plan for Terrorists to attack some time.
d) He is really making some veiled promise to Iraqis, and I should just ignore the statement.

MMMMMM
05-28-2004, 08:07 PM
I have a suggestion for you.

Look up the following words in the dictionary:

"conclusion"

"ineluctable"

"lie"

Then, as per Gamblor's request, you might post Bush's exact quote (in at least one paragraph of context please).

cardcounter0
05-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Sorry but Bush hasn't formed a complete paragraph since 1972.