PDA

View Full Version : Official Why Does Everyone Care Who Is Backing Greg Raymer Thread

fnurt
05-27-2004, 11:31 AM
This is a naive question, but maybe someone will indulge me.

The last few days there have been a LOT of posts on these forums asking for details on who Greg's backers are, if any. Now it's fine to be curious, but it seems like these posts go beyond idle curiosity. Some people have posted the same question in 5 different places, some people have started their own thread just to ask, etc.

I am just wondering why this information is so important to certain people. Is it because "if he backed Greg, maybe next year he'll back me"? Is it because "maybe one of them owes me money and I want to get paid back"? Or something else?

eastbay
05-27-2004, 11:36 AM
People want to know who's getting money out of this. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

eastbay

GWB
05-27-2004, 11:40 AM
People like to celebrate 2+2er victories, and that includes those who are backing a winner. If you don't care about Greg and his backers, don't read the threads.

B Dids
05-27-2004, 11:41 AM
But why does anybody care about that? I understand the curiosity, 'cause hell, I've got it to some extent. However, I realize that it's an inappropriate question to ask and that it really makes no difference to me.

GWB
05-27-2004, 11:44 AM
I wonder why people care about the bets others have placed on American Idol, but hey we are just one big self-supporting and self-flaming community here. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw, been watching your progress, nicely done - I sometimes play against you but never reveal my 2+2 connection at the table. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fyodor
05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
OK I haven't asked and I didn't even know anything about it until I started reading these threads but my guess is because Greg solicted backers at this site, people just want to know who was smart/lucky enough to have backed him.

eastbay
05-27-2004, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But why does anybody care about that? I understand the curiosity, 'cause hell, I've got it to some extent. However, I realize that it's an inappropriate question to ask and that it really makes no difference to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot of money. People like money, and are curious about how gets large sums of it.

Some people do not feel the inhibition that you (or I) feel about it. That's all.

I mean hell, ever seen that guy at the PP $200+15 tables begging for $50 from the winner when it'd down to the final 3? Some people have no shame.

eastbay

B Dids
05-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Hell, I wonder why people bet on American idol. Or watch American Idol.

Thanks... I'll just start republican baiting when I play and see if I can draw you out.

dogsballs
05-27-2004, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...who was smart/lucky enough to have backed him

[/ QUOTE ]

The word would be smart.

Greg did solicit backers here and at rgp, when he needed to reestablish a BR. He's obviously an excellent big bet and tourney player - now he's really showing everyone that. I didn't back him, but I woulda if I'd had the extra cash; from his posts, most here knew he was the real deal.

Myrtle
05-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Curiosity is fine, but there is a line where it can become obtrusive or inappropriate.

Without trying to offend anyone, quite frankly if there is some tpe of backers agreement in place , the details of it are the business of Greg and the backers only.

That's about the nicest way that I can think of saying...."It's none of your business"...

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SheridanCat
05-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Greg made it everyone's business when he asked for backers publicly. He was very upfront about it. Now people are curious. Naturally.

Regards,

T

eMarkM
05-27-2004, 01:10 PM
FWIW, he won the seat on Stars for $150. True, he played several qualifiers before winning one and he may still have a backer, but seems less likely since he didn't need to pony up the 10K himself.

Myrtle
05-27-2004, 01:20 PM
No offense meant, Cat, but…….

Although I recognize that people are naturally curious about it…….

……..I totally disagree with your statement that essentially reflects a point of view that "inquiring minds have a right to know" .

The fact that Greg once made a public offer to entertain backers here on 2+2, does NOT automatically open his private dealings up to public scrutiny.

GWB
05-27-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hell, I wonder why people bet on American idol. Or watch American Idol.

Thanks... I'll just start republican baiting when I play and see if I can draw you out.

[/ QUOTE ]
With 1/3 of Americans being registered Republicans, you would get a lot of "false positives". (I learned this term during my former years of addiction /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

W

trillig
05-27-2004, 02:49 PM
I am figuring Greg has no backers at all...

Won seat via sat some place I'd hope, so few people pay the $10,000 themselves now.

I was close to getting in that route myself, and still kicking myself for what I did at the final 2 tables. But, that is the torture us players go through when we make mistakes.

-Bri

trillig
05-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Deleted contents...

repeat post, forum hiccuped on me.

GO GREG! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dynasty
05-27-2004, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am figuring Greg has no backers at all...

Won seat via sat some place I'd hope, so few people pay the $10,000 themselves now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand what a poker bankroll is?

I'm not sure why people don't think Greg was backed because he got into the WSOP via an online satellite. If Greg is still using a bankroll provided by backers, it's for all his poker play from buy-ins to high-limit games at Foxwoods to small entry fees for online satellites. Greg isn't using his bankroll for the big expenses and paying for the small expenses out of some seperate fund.

If Greg has a backed bankroll, he is obviously going to use it for all poker buy-ins/entry fees. Then, his backers get their % of his winnings. It can't possibly work any other way.

Ulysses
05-27-2004, 05:43 PM
It can't possibly work any other way.

To: All my backers

Well, guys, there's some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I won $5M in the WSOP. The bad news is I paid for the $150+10 double shootout from my own money and won the seat there, so you guys don't get any of that World Series Money. However,I did win $50,000 over the year in other poker winnings in games played from my backed bankroll, so I'll be distributing the profits from that shortly!

trillig
05-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Whoa chief, I for one had not been following threads on this topic at all, so don't assume I know much... I was just tossing in my .02... if you don't respect my opinion, I am just as happy never posting here again, just say the word....

On the other hand though, why should I be assuming he has BACKERS? Going back to what you said... consider me a common folk.... I am not a 2+2 post reading maniac... and most folks here aren't, I'd have to give up too much...

Some lucky people got in there extremely cheaply....

I almost made it to the main for $125.... [no backers 8)] and knocked out Gary Jones in that one.

Big D, you sometimes come off a bit harsh, that's all.... 8) Peace and gl!

-Bri

Dynasty
05-27-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It can't possibly work any other way.

To: All my backers

Well, guys, there's some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I won $5M in the WSOP. The bad news is I paid for the $150+10 double shootout from my own money and won the seat there, so you guys don't get any of that World Series Money. However,I did win $50,000 over the year in other poker winnings in games played from my backed bankroll, so I'll be distributing the profits from that shortly!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the backers would take Greg's word for it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Either that, or we'd being hearing about scandal and lawsuits in the poker world for the next few years.

Seriously, it seems strange to me that some posters are thinking that Greg is paying entry fees (even if it's a small entry fee) out of a source other than his poker bankroll. A bankroll exists specifically to pay for this stuff.

I'm starting to regret making even a single post about this situation. Since Greg's backing arrangement was so public on 2+2 and RGP, I suppose it's inevitable that it would get out.

Prickly Pete
05-27-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Greg has a backed bankroll, he is obviously going to use it for all poker buy-ins/entry fees. Then, his backers get their % of his winnings. It can't possibly work any other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if that 2002 Fossilman backing proposition post that was linked recently is what the backing arrangement is, the online bankroll was kept out of it. I would think it would be easier to include it all (and I have no idea if or how Greg is backed), but it is possible that it's not included.

Myrtle
05-27-2004, 05:56 PM
O my effin gonad shaking belly bustin gawd!!!!

I LUV the 2 of you (Dynasty & Ulysses)

The only problem I fear, is that your rapier wits are far beyond those for whom your comments are intended!!

But..............Don't let that stop ya!!!!

trillig
05-27-2004, 05:57 PM
I've been moving and hadn't heard a word of this until today.... LOL!

Never cared how people get in these things....

Just want in myself!

-Bri

Dynasty
05-27-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, if that 2002 Fossilman backing proposition post that was linked recently is what the backing arrangement is, the online bankroll was kept out of it. I would think it would be easier to include it all (and I have no idea if or how Greg is backed), but it is possible that it's not included.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I don't know the specifics of any backing deal Greg may or may not have, I'm now going to do something lots of other people have wanted to do plenty of times.

Shut the F*** up, Dynasty! You don't know all the details!

I suppose any backing deal could have any type of clause the people wanted in it. But, stuff like one bankroll for this kind of play and another bankroll for that kind of play can only lead to problems.

I said SHUT UP!