PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the end....

ChristinaB
05-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Poll: Kerry Catches Up to Bush in Pa. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&ncid=696&e=2&u=/ap/20040527/ap_on_el_pr/pennsylvania_poll)

Kerry-McCain alliance the talk of Washington (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1521&ncid=696&e=5&u=/afp/20040527/pl_afp/us_mccain_vote_politics)

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Big deal. Since neither Bush nor Kerry will a) end the war on drugs, b) abolish the IRS, c) phase out social security or d) get the government out of education, I don't much care which republicrat wins in November.

Though it would be nice to have congress and the President be of different parties. I love gridlock.

benfranklin
05-27-2004, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Though it would be nice to have congress and the President be of different parties. I love gridlock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Historical studies indicate that the country does best in terms of growth, jobs, income, etc., when one party controls Congress and the other is in the White House. Doesn't matter which has which. My cynical self assumes that this is a result of them spending all their time and effort fighting with each other, and not getting any "work" done, said "work" generally being to the detriment of us all.

elwoodblues
05-27-2004, 02:32 PM
My thought is that neither party's position is the best and that the compromise positions reached are probably better.

B-Man
05-27-2004, 07:10 PM
There is virtually no chance McCain will run with Kerry--they have very different positions on many issues (most notably abortion), and unlike Kerry, McCain doesn't have a proven history of flip-flopping on the issues whenever it is convenient.

I don't see McCain going against his principles, and I don't see the Democrats putting a pro-life conservative on the ticket.

andyfox
05-27-2004, 07:29 PM
I agree. Zero chance of McCain running, despite his apparent dislike for Bush.

If Kerry wins, I would think McCain might well join Kerry's cabinet, if he's interested. Secretary of Defense. Clinton also had a Republican Secretary of Defense, although Cohen was much more liberal than McCain.