PDA

View Full Version : To scared to raise

MrGo
05-27-2004, 09:15 AM
10-20 Party. I am new to tha table - only been there for aboue 20 minutes or so. I am in the BB. Folded to MP who raises, LP calls and I call with K /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Flop:

T /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I flop the straight but I am scared of the flush, obviously.

I check, MP bets, call call.

Turn is a blank.

I check, bet, call - Here is where I went wrong. I feel a raise would have been a better play, but I didn't know anything about these players. I simply called.

River another blank. Check, bet, call and I call. I take it down.

This is a major leak in my game. I do not pump the pots when I have the best of it. I give my opponents too much credit for hands or for hands they COULD have.

Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Noo Yawk
05-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi MrGo,

I think you already realize that a check raise was in order, as you don't want to lose to some little heart while you have the best hand. The bottom line is you need to get rid of the "scariest hand is there" or S.H.I.T mentality, or your going to be destined to a lifetime of showdown poker.
Some symptoms of S.H.I.T include:

1) Thinking AK is an overated hand.
2) Saying things Like "I never win with Aces or Kings."
3) Thinking Flush over Flush or set over set is likely.
4) Never betting a big hand for value because there is something scarier out there.
Etc., Etc.

The good news is there's a cure. Bet and raise your good hands, until your chips are falling off the table. Yeah, your going to lose a few, but you'll win a whole lot more and be able to read hands a whole lot better. There is a cure for most S.H.I.T. and as I like to say:
"same S.H.I.T, different play".

Good luck and don't forget to wipe.(wipe out the table of their chips that is). /images/graemlins/cool.gif

risen
05-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Longest setup for a bad punchline since the first 70 minutes of Screwed.

Nightwish
05-27-2004, 04:04 PM
First of all, your preflop call is pretty loose. You're out of position with a K high off-suit one-gapper that is likely shadowed by either the raiser or the cold caller. You can make this call if you think you can significantly outplay these guys on later streets, but I'd be leaning towards mucking.

You flop a miracle. You need to pump this. Frankly, I'd be check-raising on the flop and betting out on the turn because you cannot depend on people to bet this behind you on the turn. And you need to be reraising all the way unless a 4th heart comes.

PassiveCaller
05-27-2004, 04:10 PM
It's a loose call on the BB?

I agree though with your comments post-flop. You can't play this like a wuss you have to get your money in until a 4th heart shows up. You have to charge for that 4th heart here.

CrackerZack
05-27-2004, 04:17 PM
I would check-raise this flop after it goes bet-call and bet the turn. That said, i usually dump this PF unless MP is a moron and LP is either just as bad, or likely knows MP is a moron and would call with a weak hand. Default would be to fold PF though.

Nightwish
05-27-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a loose call on the BB?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's marginal, and I explained why. Another problem is that, unlike AJ or even AT, there are a lot fewer boards/opponents where you can take it to showdown unimproved. If your opponents are super weak, then yeah, you can call here. Otherwise, I don't like calling with this hand.

PassiveCaller
05-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Egh.. One of those quick at work read jobs.

You have a point. KJ out of position can be a toughy. Did a fast forward through some of the important stuff!